Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Film about the making of John Mayers Born and Raised artwork

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Film about the making of John Mayers Born and Raised artwork

Post by DAVE SMITH »

We finally managed to get clearance from Sony to show this film about the artwork and some glass signs that i made last year for John Mayer.

We uploaded yesterday to many sites including Vimeo.

Hope you all enjoy it.
Thanks
Dave
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdfreJm ... r_embedded
Jerry Berg

Re: Film about the making of John Mayers Born and Raised artwork

Post by Jerry Berg »

Wow Dave, that was great!
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

I have no way to express............

Joe
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Julio Cesar Germano

Post by Julio Cesar Germano »

Wow... Just wow... And, wow again... O.o

Not just for the brilliant craftsmanship and work involved, but for the amount of information contained here.
So many bits of information.

Great video and... Wow!
I've started calligraphy as a hobby a couple of years ago and, from there, stumbled upon
the wonderful world of lost arts - pinstriping, chalkboard art, hand-lettering and sign making.

From Brazil.

Julio Cesar
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Contrary to Mick Jagger's 1960's lament - I got complete satisfaction from watching this, Dave.

Everything about the film itself was sublime and suited your work perfectly. Like Julio said, there was a great deal of instruction just watching you work. A nice display of using that handy Smith Tip as well!

The only time I was uncomfortable was when you picked up a mug of coffee or tea to drink. I still had it fresh in my mind that you had poured some acid onto the glass & I was about to reach out & stop you from drinking. Heck, that would have made a lousy ending.

And speaking of the ending - I loved the creative unfolding of the credits at the end.

Top shelf, as always. Thanks for the inspiration. (And hat's off to whoever produced the actual film.)
Dan
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne."
Geoffrey Chaucer (c. 1340 - 1400)

http://DanSeeseStudios.com
http://www.DanSeeseStudios.com/blog/
http://www.facebook.com/DanSeeseStudios
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Dan Seese wrote: The only time I was uncomfortable was when you picked up a mug of coffee or tea to drink. I still had it fresh in my mind that you had poured some acid onto the glass & I was about to reach out & stop you from drinking. Heck, that would have made a lousy ending.
That's interesting, exactly the sentiment I had. I guess only those who understand the caution needed in working with hydrofluoric acid would react that way.

A beautiful job by Danny, I loved the incorporation of Laurin and Milo, it just makes the whole video seem so personal and comfortable. :)

Congrats Dave, and so well earned.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

It can not get any better than this...
So many things to say at this point, but i want to leave it at the clock that was turning... the details in this film.... incredible.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Marius Mellebye

Post by Marius Mellebye »

This is absolutely amazing.. makes me speechless, and is actually making John´s music even better :-)
Marius Mellebye / 276ccm Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/276ccm Blog: http://276ccm.blogspot.no
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

If you have competition Dave, well you don't need me to tell you this work blows them away.
I wonder if this will give birth to a new genre amongst graphic designer/artists ?
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

It's like a small family here for me. Those comments are just lovely by everyone of you. I never thought it would get to all this from when i thought about the idea of making a film about the cover. On my Facebook page it has gone truly nuts! to say the least. Today i recieved over 300 emails mainly for work and alot of nice people that i have never met before. The film has reached 150 countries worldwide so hopefully somehow this will have a little part in keeping our craft from being lost. I have come to the point that i either need clonning or i take on staff, think i will just stay on my own and do what i can. Been there got the t-shirt. I may be callling on some of you for help in the near future or at least passing on work like before.

Maybe i would of had a chance with that Grammy award if the film had come out before that date, who knows, always a next time!

Thank guys.

appreciate it.
Dave
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Dave... Your work is truly inspirational. And the quality of the film is top notch.

Thanks for the time you have taken to share not only this work but all the others as well.

Tim... a humble snapper
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Bill Ames

Post by Bill Ames »

Wow Dave, another awesome movie! Very entertaining and informative too. Both movies are enjoyable to watch.

I understand many of the processes you were demonstrating but had just one question:

What type of screenprinting ink did you use that would stand up to the high temperatures in the kiln? I would've fully expected any normal ink to burn off at the temperatures needed to slump glass.

Congrats on all the exposure and interest in your work this has gotten for you.
Mike Simpson

Post by Mike Simpson »

What everybody else has said Dave. Well done, all the way around. You're a true inspiration. Thanks for posting it.
Mike Simpson
picture framemaker and artist
http://www.mikesimpsonart.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks very much. Pleased you enjoyed the film. Bill the ink was made for high temprature kiln firing, i'll get back to you with the name when i get 5 minutes to dig the info out. cheers.
Dave
Dale Johnson

Post by Dale Johnson »

Hi Dave,
What a great video. I do not even daydream of ever being as talented as you are. I am truly impressed by the different processes you used in making that plate. It seems not only are you jack of a lot of trades but also the master of many trades.

Take care and if ever in Ormond Beach, FL, USA I would love to meet you.

Dale Johnson
megan child

Post by megan child »

I just ache to have natural talent like Dave's and all I can see is that I'm getting old tooo fast and will never reach his ability or perfection in this life -- maybe in the next.
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Mirella Nuzzolese

Post by Mirella Nuzzolese »

another amazing movie, great details and no way to express !

Thanks for sharing
“Architecture is the alpha principle of all arts.”
Andrey Kolmakov

Post by Andrey Kolmakov »

I watched the movie and envied ....envied of how professional you are working! Now I know what to strive for. David, what kind of paint you use when doing screen printing.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello Once again many thanks to you all for these lovely comments. Andrew I use Nazdar ink for the screening or hand painting onto glass, it feels like the old intenso range of glass enamels.

Thanks
Dave
Andrey Kolmakov

Post by Andrey Kolmakov »

David, the ink can withstand the effect of acid ???