Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

fixing small mirror problems

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

megan child

fixing small mirror problems

Post by megan child »

Hi all,

I've been approached to fix two antique mirrors but it has raised a few questions in my mind so I'm here looking for advice.

both mirrors have small areas which need repairing one in particular looks like the mirror came off from pulling sticky tape from the back of it (I'm dubious as to whether it is a hand poured mirror or actually resilvered using foil). The other has detrition spots that I've seen before on older hand crafted mirrors.

Is it possible to patch the mirror rather than removing all the old mirror and starting again?

And how do I quote for a job - this is my first opportunity to get paid work.

Meg :mrgreen:
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
erik winkler

Re: fixing small mirror problems

Post by erik winkler »

Hello Megan,

It is all about the look the client wants.
If he wants a perfect mirror, I allways tell them to buy a new one in the department store.
If they want the mirror to be original with some ageing in it you can silver over the current layer with chemicals.
Laying silverleaf or 12 crt goldleaf over the wholes is also possible and much cheaper to offer.
Remember if you will chemically silver over the current one will take you a few hours to prepare; starting cost are very high then.
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu