Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Wednesday April 16 Changeover

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Wednesday April 16 Changeover

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Hand Lettering Forum readers,
For quite a few years, this site and www.theletterheads.com have been hosted by a company in Canada. Tomorrow, the site will be moving (behind the scenes) to Network Solutions in the US. It should be totally transparent at your end, but it should make getting questions answered quicker and service issues easier on the administrators.

So, if you come to the site tomorrow and get some sort of error, it will likely be a result of the site propagating over to the new address.

I am hoping there will be no problems or issues.

Cheers,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Larry White

Re: Wednesday April 16 Changeover

Post by Larry White »

Hey Mike, and Danny, and everyone else that's kept this going over the years....

THANKS!

...can I get an Amen!? :D
Larry White
That's enough for now... it's gettin' late
Town Of Machine
http://www.walljewelry.com
Rich Hawthorne

Post by Rich Hawthorne »

Amen!!

You guys rock.

Rich Hawthorne.
Anthony Bennett

Post by Anthony Bennett »

I have to echo the above posts of Thanks. 8)
erik winkler

Post by erik winkler »

Amen
Realizing we are in the 2nd renaissance of the arts.
Learn, copy and trying to improve...
Still in the learning phase ;-)
Amsterdam Netherlands
www.ferrywinkler.nl
www.schitterend.eu
www.facebook.com/Schitterend.eu
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

yeah, you admin guys & gals do amazing work. Many Thanks.

I just hope thech ange overgoe swellETAIONshrdlu
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I wish I could tell everyone this is going smoothly. Canaca (Canadian based company) always waits until THE DAY the site renewal is due, then sends an email bill saying OVERDUE...No correspondence prior to the Overdue bill. This time I was trying to move to the new site when they shut the server down after one week of overdue notices. I had to pay $250 to get the site turned back on at Canaca so the tech at Network Solutions could get to the old files. I paid for a new Essential Web Hosting package at Network Solutions for the Hand Lettering Forum and The Letterheads.com which cost another $120. I paid Network Solutions $175 to make the move from the old site to the new one, but that doesn't seem to be completed as of today. My tech tells me there is a possibility it won't transport over. That would have been a deal breaker originally, but the sales person said it "shouldn't be a problem" and took my credit card number to pay in advance.

I hope all of this works out soon and I can get back to work. I wouldn't have switched if I had known what I was going to have to go through. In the long run, maybe it will be worth it, but it cost me a lot more than I had anticipated to get the sites onto US soil and to get to work with US based tech support. Canaca had moved their tech support overseas and it all had to be done through emails. The new version of TheLetterheads.com took me a couple of days to convert to the new layout and content. In the long run, it will be much easier for me to edit and add content into. The old site was created with Adobe Go Live, then converted to Dreamweaver when Adobe no longer supported Go Live. Even then, the site was developed using much earlier versions of DW than what they support now. The new version allows me to upload all the content to the wordpress/netsol servers and I don't have to work with desktop software.

Here's the link to the new site:
http://theletterheads.com/wordpress1/

Anxious for this to be completed!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

Your A Good Man Mike... Thanks.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Dale Johnson

Post by Dale Johnson »

Mike,
Great website and thanks to all who make it thatta way. I struggle with using computers and plotters (cutters) and this makes me appreciate you folks all the more for doing this website.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I finally got to speak with a supervisor today. They now have their best tech working to move the forum over. There could be a very slight hiccup today when they make the final changes, but hopefully not.

They are also refunding my $175 support fee. So, despite the glitch with the other tech, it looks like Network Solutions is making this right thing for me.

I'll keep everyone posted and let you know when everything is fully switched over.

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

Mike,
thanks for all the work. It's hard for civilians to know how much work goes into these Internet goodies that we take for granted. I know you're explaining not complaining, and it is good to hear something of the hours and dollars that get used up. Blessings on you.

I think it would be nice if we users knew of an address to throw some shekels at. We all should be happy to pay something for the chance to ramble on.
The Colorado Letterheads??
where am i? Now, when i need me...
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Lee,
I think people could send a few dollars to the Colorado Letterheads. That'd probably the cleanest way of doing it. If I needed more money to pay for this kind of changeover, they'd probably pay.

I'll check with Kent to see if they are interested in taking donations.

If you were to click "The Letterheads Site" on the tabs at the top of this page, you might see it takes you to http://www.theletterheads.com/index.html.

When all of this is completed, I'd want it to go to http://www.theletterheads.com/index.php or at least http://www.theletterheads.com/wordpress1/

I don't know enough about php code to know how to make that change, nor which part of the Forum software to change it in. Jeremy Thorson added that several years ago when he fixed the login scripts. We paid him around $300 to make those few changes.

I am constantly getting emails telling me the current Forum software is out of date with offers to update it for a fee, but I don't feel good about trusting them from an email solicitation. So, that's another upcoming expense.

Well, you get the idea. It's a bit like driving an old truck. It needs a little maintenance now and then, even when it seems to be running okay.
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Andrew Paul

Post by Andrew Paul »

Mike -

This forum and the website have both been invaluable. I thank you for all the hard work, and I can't wait to see the final results!!