Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

humidity and glue chipping

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

megan child

humidity and glue chipping

Post by megan child »

I'm having some problems with my glue chipping the glass due to an increase in humidity as it is getting colder. I have tried using a wooden box and that went well with damp-rid in the bottom but as it has got colder that trick seems to be failing too.

Any suggestions?
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p
Tyler Tim

Re: humidity and glue chipping

Post by Tyler Tim »

I used a little oil filled radiator style electric heater. Set a couple boards over sawhorses placed glass on them and slid it under on low setting to warm glass. Moved glass to level bed and poured glue to allowed it to first stage dry. Was planning to put heater back under glass on low... But glass chipped over night temp in shop was about 60* or so with little heater on med low in shop. Here's the piece.
Attachments
hump.JPG
hump.JPG (42.22 KiB) Viewed 3566 times
hump2.JPG
hump2.JPG (65.79 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

There has been a lot of discussions on what everyone is using for this exact problem. In fact Jeff Lang reposted something not long ago and would be good to take a peek at that. Soooo many solutions.
megan child

Post by megan child »

Thanks Tyler I took your idea and ran with it. Over the weekend I nicked off with my mums heater and put it into our guest toilet.
The heater has a setting of 35 Celsius - 95 Fahrenheit. I was mighty warm in there!

The chipping worked and it didn't take to long so I was very happy.

And Doug, I went to the post you mentioned and will get my husband busy building a light box table for me. He just loves playing with anything that has lights involved - I brought a shed for myself and he's rigged up Christmas tree lights for me to see at night. He's just one in a million flashes.

:lol:
Meg
I don't make mistakes, I just have learnings.

:p