Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

GLUE CHIPPING HELP !!!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

steve martin

GLUE CHIPPING HELP !!!

Post by steve martin »

Does any one have a supplier of hide glue for chipping in the UK, I have recently purchased some from a supplier, the instructions from the supplier said that glue made from Rabbit is too elastic, and the glue that I recieved is made from Rabbit, I found this out whilt on telephone asking a few questions, I have tried it on a few pieces of glass and not much seems to be happening, on one piece there are small pieces of glue that have come off and NOTHING has happened to the glass underneath.

Thanks

Steve
Attachments
little bit !!
little bit !!
P1011372.JPG (206.15 KiB) Viewed 12797 times
Nothing happened on this piece
Nothing happened on this piece
P1011373.JPG (227.01 KiB) Viewed 12795 times
DAVE SMITH

Re: GLUE CHIPPING HELP !!!

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Steve. You can get this glue from aldcroft adhesives ltd. there number is 01204 668282.
It is an animal glue grade 5033.
Hope that helps.
Dave
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

You can use rabbit skin glue, but it all depends on the quality of the glue. It varies quite a lot.

I have some rabbit skin glue that is a dirty brown color and it works brilliantly. Glue from another source was a honey yellow color and is useless. go figure.

An alternative is pearl glue or joiner's pearl. This is the classic cabinet makers glue. The one I have takes a bit more time to dissolve than RSG , but it chips nicely.

I have had good results mixing them together.
steve martin

Post by steve martin »

Dave & Bruce thank to you both for the information, I have contacted aldcroft adhesives and there prices have just gone up, they will be in touch Monday, as to the HG I have it says for chipping and is a light brown colour, getting better results, seems you have to find the right setting for your own situation then go from there, I will keep trying.

Thanks

Steve
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Whats the current going rate for Glass Chipping Glue?

Someone wants to sell me over 100 lbs. of the stuff.

Wants me to pay for it by the pound.

I was given a good price (I think)...but want to know what the current market price per pound is.

Or what some of the chippers on this here site are paying.

If I get it cheap enough...I could sell off a few pounds at a small markup.

As always, Thanks for the replies.

RMN
What's On Your Book Shelf ?

http://www.milwaukeesignworks.com
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Robare,

I bought my last batch of glue (164 gram) from Bjorn Industries, Inc. in Charlotte, NC. You can visit their web page at http://www.bjorn,net. The phone number is 704-364-1186. Talk to Eugene Thordahl if you have any questions. Prices vary according to the amount ordered, with the minimum order being 5 pounds. I know my price list is out of date so I won't post the prices that I have on file.

When I inquired about their products, he sent me a price list, a five page article on "Hide Glue" and a six page article on "Glass Chipping." Nice folks!

Dennis in Boise.
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Just to add another comment: I recall there have been discussions on glues and relative strengths and properties before. It would be worth a search of the forum archive.

I've forgotten the technical details, but I know that these animal-sourced glues and gelatins are graded and given a number according to their relative strength. It's called "gram strength" or "bloom strength". I've forgetten the range prefered for glue chipping, but at a guess it would be maybe 300-500, which is at the high end. The 5X hide glue that a lot of people use for chipping is up at this upper range.

It's worth a little bit of research. Woodworking websites is a good place to find this info too.
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

As Bruce mentioned, a search for either glue or glass chipping will yield considerable information on the Hand Lettering forum using the search tab at the top.

A good source for information can be found on 'The Letterhead Site', top of The Hand Lettering page, right side.

For glass chipping, grades and types of glue, look under Feature Articles > Rick Glawson - Daddy Fine Gold. Scroll to the bottom and look through the list of topics from notes by Rick and others.

It's best to buy glue from a source that specifically sells glue for glass chipping, as not all hide glues will chip. The information is listed in Rick's notes , found here:

http://www.theletterheads.com/glawson/gluechip.html

In that section is this: NOTE: Only one type of glue will work for this process. It is a low grade, dry, animal hide glue with an approximate 165 gram strength and designated as glass chipping glue. High strength hide cabinet glues or gilder rabbit skin glues are very elastic and will not work. Neither do white or yellow wood working glues.

As for a chipping cabinet, check this thread: https://handletteringforum.com/forum ... box#p16090

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

Danny, thanks for the correction. I was just guessing the strength range. I remember being told to look for 5X grade...which I always assumed was one of the highest grades. I never did manage to get hold of this type because i had good results with the rabbit skin/pearl glue mixture that I mentioned before.

One additional note that's always worth mentioning. Make absolutely sure the glass is very well cleaned to remove all the powder from the etching. Any residual powder will mess with the glue's adhesion and you'll get un-chipped sections.
Francois Morel

Post by Francois Morel »

Hi guys,
Bringing back this topic to life...

So I did my first glue chipping attempt...
Build a box with warming lamps, etc. following som infos from here and there...

The chipping worked. no huge flakes but nice ones anyway.
My only problem is I have some parts which don't chip at all.
I saw on the last post you need to have the glass really clean to be sure there is no sandblasting dust left etc. but I thought I cleaned it (by the way before doing a second chipping to resolve that, I put the glass under hot water to clean the first chip so...)

After the second chip, some parts are now chipped but I've got some they don't want to.

What would be the reason?
Can I clean those tricky parts whit hot water and soap?

Should I try to sandpaper those parts with a really thin paper and go really smoothl to try to get more "grain" ?

If you could help me with that... please.

Thank you.
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Francois...I'm a little hesitant to jump in here but generally any part that has been blasted enuf and has a good layer of glue on it will chip eventually. The humidity is the thing. If it were me (and without seeing it) I would wash with hot/warm water and re-apply a little glue to the stubborn areas. You'll need to wash all the glue off in the end anyway. I'd stay away of sandpaper as it'll scratch the glass and show in any further decorations.
Francois Morel

Post by Francois Morel »

Thanks Doug.
So before reading you I washed it with warm water to take of the glue :(
I've launched a new chipping, with a tougher glue ration to see, but it looks like I have two parts still not chipping.
I left the glue several hours on the glass before switching on the lamps this time but I guess there is somethin else.
Humidity seems good (around 20%)

I 'm waiting for it to finish to be sure and cross my fingers.
I'll post pictures after this.
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

At the top of each of the pages on this forum is a link to The Letterheads Site. A few years ago, we switched that site to a Wordpress site, but the link about still has index.html at the end. If you click on it now, it will take you to a Page Not Found page, but just click the Home button and it will get you to the right spot.

Anyway, on that page is a link to a Hard to Find Sign Supplies page Danny and I made not long after Rick Glawson passed away. Here's the link:

http://theletterheads.com/2014/04/17/ha ... -supplies/

There is information on places to buy the glue Rick used to buy and sell in smaller quantities.

Also, check out this page on the site:
http://theletterheads.com/2014/04/18/gl ... formation/

If you have never visited that site, it is loaded with great info!
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Francois Morel

Post by Francois Morel »

Thank you mike!
I'm now having a look to this link (looks great!).

By the way, here is a picture of the panel I did, not perfect but a good start anyway I guess.
Going to do a new one.

"Practice makes perfect" (!)
Attachments
IMG_4012-s.jpg
IMG_4012-s.jpg (417.42 KiB) Viewed 10087 times
♫ A B C
It's easy as, 1 2 3
As simple as, do re mi ♫