Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gilded glass wall- HELPPPPP!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

David de Oliveira

Gilded glass wall- HELPPPPP!

Post by David de Oliveira »

Hello everyone.
A client of mine just ask me for a quote for 100 square meters of gilded glass. I'll have to use fake gold leaf. What kind of size do you recomend and after the gold aplied how'll i fix it? I've never did such a large area and i need some hints.

Thank you for your help!
Cheers
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Gilded glass wall- HELPPPPP!

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thats a big project! Using fake leaf or metal leaf will probably mean oil size but I'll wait for others to add to this. If it were me however I'd simply grab a friend apply a slow size to about half or at some natural divider (it can't be a single piece of glass) and do as much as can be done in one day leafing and an evening in advance for size.
I can't really imagine water gilding thick metals. You should also try and give some context to this. Is it an actual "wall" in something like a shopping centre?
David de Oliveira

The sample i was given access to it is not a "perfect" gilding the applied gold is wrickled and not straight, i mean that's the effect they want. It also has some kind of canvas backing, maybe to aply some kind of adesive to stick to the wall. The project consists in covering the pillars of an hotel lobby, meaning i have to make sure the surface has to suport some kind of sillicon or glue to fix the glass to the wall. Tomorrow i'll have some samples of the glass so i can make tests with it and i'll take a photo so you guys can give me an opinion.
Thank you for you help.
David de Oliveira

First test.- Water based size and fixed with varnish.
Attachments
P2071740.jpg
P2071740.jpg (24.13 KiB) Viewed 5860 times
P2071739.jpg
P2071739.jpg (23.5 KiB) Viewed 5861 times
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Does it match the sample? Not sure water size will have made any difference but wonder how well the "crinkles" will hold up to a cleaning.
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

You can water gild those heavier cheap metals. You can get a decent bright finish, but the patina is not as fine looking as gold and it shows more obvious folds, faults and laylines. You generally mix the watersize with more gelatin than you'd use for gold. if using sheet gelatin, say 15-20 diamonds per 500ml (roughly an american pint, i believe, if you are used that measuring system).

but if you want wrinkled, you won't be choosing water gilding. Wrinkling is indicative of oil gilding that has been laid too fresh. Personally, i think it looks faulty like that, but if that's what the client wants, apply your goldsize unthinned, in a full even layer. not so thick it will run, but a good solid layer. then gild it while it's still sticky...before it goes to the usual whistling tack. the earlier you gild it the more course and pronounced is the wrinkling...gilding it on the border of whistling tack and the wrinkle will be finer.

One thing to be aware of...if it's a large sheet of glass that is laying down flat, the edges of the glass will set up more quickly than the middle, which will cause the finish to be uneven...I'd prop it up on an angle, or have a fan going to keep the air circulating prior to gilding.
David de Oliveira

Thank you all for your tips. The client chose exactly the sample i posted here, so i'll go with the oil size and large wrinkles. Once again many thanks.

Cheers