Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Beautiful Art Deco shop in Lisbon!

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

David de Oliveira

Beautiful Art Deco shop in Lisbon!

Post by David de Oliveira »

Hello everyone,
This is a beautiful shop in Lisbon that needs some restoration. I've been ask for a quotation to reproduce all the glass panels, but what concernes me most is the pictorial part of it. Is very detailed and i was wondering if someone can give me an advice how to make it, should i paint directly on the glass (reverse) or should i use that technique of sized paper and transfer?

Thank you everyone!
Attachments
bijou.jpg
bijou.jpg (438.9 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
DAVE SMITH

Re: Beautiful Art Deco shop in Lisbon!

Post by DAVE SMITH »

That's a beauty!!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Thats a wonderful project to have. I've seen illustrations like this on some antique glass pieces from France a few years ago and from the back they were on some sort of paper or canvas that I'd not seen before. I've done this quite a number of times on canvas and used the 3 varnish method to apply them. It's damar (very thick) resin gel and rubbing varnish. I'm pretty sure you can substitute the quick rubbing with any number or quality oil varnishes. Look forward to seeing this as it progresses.
Tyler Tim

Post by Tyler Tim »

From the looks of it he pictorial panel seems to be in good shape... It looks like the lettering and numbers are in poor condition. If me I would keep the original floral element and reproduce the name and numbers.

Either way looks like a nice project... keep us updated on you progress.
Sure I paint thing for my amusement and then offer them for sale. A brushslinger could whither en die from lack of creativity in this plastic town my horse threw a shoe in. :shock:
David de Oliveira

Post by David de Oliveira »

Thank you all for your opinions! I'm pretty sure it is painted directly in the glass, and they don't want it restored because there's two glasses and this one on the photo is the one in better shape( they eventually would like to preserve this ones and make a copy. I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers
Deborah Tepe

Post by Deborah Tepe »

That looks like such a wonderful project!