Spatzier

An interactive section of TheLetterheads.com

Topics include: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Off Topic Posts may be deleted at the discretion of the web hosts. ABSOLUTELY NO SHARING OF COPYRIGHTED FONTS, CLIP ART, or VIDEOS!

Please take social chit-chat elsewhere!

Moderators: Mike Jackson, Kent Smith, Sarah Schwartz, Danny Baronian

Alfred de Goeij

Spatzier

Post by Alfred de Goeij » Sun May 07, 2017 9:58 am

Look what I found!!!

I am not ready to start with this machine, but I buyed the thing! I started to shape it up.
IMG_3448.JPG
IMG_3448.JPG (179.5 KiB) Viewed 558 times
IMG_3478 kopie.jpg
IMG_3478 kopie.jpg (160.31 KiB) Viewed 558 times
I am going to primer it and make it green again. I have contact with Merker in Germany to get the right spindle.

Greatings,

Alfred
Attachments
IMG_3482.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG (77.43 KiB) Viewed 558 times

pat mackle

Re: Spatzier

Post by pat mackle » Wed May 10, 2017 1:23 am

Nice find. There are a few people on Facebook that really know a lot about these engraving lathes. You should search for "Jim Riser" on Facebook. He lives in Arizona and is a talented glass engraver and machinist. He is very knowledgeable and he has followers who are also finding these lathes to restore and learn their proper use.

Alfred de Goeij

Post by Alfred de Goeij » Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am

I cleaned the Spatzier in and out. All the boults are replaced for new ones. There was a lot of slurry in the reservoirs to remove. I think it is years ago the machine was open, to look at the oil!
The spindle I polished by hand. I only don't know if the oil must be special? Or can I use synthetic motor oil? I think I send a E-mail to the man, Pat saying in his replay. Thank you for that Pat, I already found his site and looked very good at the pictures.
IMG_3487 kopie.jpg
IMG_3487 kopie.jpg (165.6 KiB) Viewed 496 times
Now I am going to think about the table where i am going to put the machine on.
Attachments
IMG_3490 kopie.jpg
IMG_3490 kopie.jpg (120.83 KiB) Viewed 496 times

pat mackle

Re: Spatzier oil

Post by pat mackle » Tue May 16, 2017 2:45 pm

Hi,
Use a "non detergent oil" in your Spatzier. According to Jim Riser, detergent oils allow debris and dirt to be suspended in the oil, while non detergent oils allow dirts to sink. This is probably why you discovered so much sediment and sludge in the bottom of the bearing cups.

pat mackle

Post by pat mackle » Tue May 16, 2017 2:55 pm

Also, this is a nice lathe, but it is mostly for doing light weight engraving work on glass art and glassware. It is not intended to turn the larger stone wheels used for Brilliant Cutting as that seen done on large glass panels by DAVE SMITH in Torquey UK. But it can still do some nice cutting on a smaller scale that will teach you the skills of glass cutting. Anything you learn on this smaller lathe, will benefit you when you proceed to a larger cutting lathe.

Alfred de Goeij

Post by Alfred de Goeij » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:31 pm

Thanks Pat for responding.
It is almost 2 months ago I begin with the Spatzier. I took a long time to figure out what wheels I can use on the smaller machine, and what different spindles I need. The spindles for this machine are mk2 so they can handle some bigger wheels, but not too big. So I can use the Spatzier for (smaller) cutting work, and for engraving!
Today I received a E-mail that the 2 new spindles I ordered are ready in a short time from now. They advised me to use stone wheels max 100 mm on this machine, and I am going to try Polpur wheels, they are a lot lighter. I found also 15 used stone wheels, with a small diameter, to see what the result is.
So I have now 3 spindles: one with a sharp point for wheels whit led, one with 2 flenses (diamond wheels), and one with screw dread . So I can use several kind off wheels. I understand I cannot do the same things as David make, but I love his work and thats why I am trying now.
1 year ago I never seen such work from anybody, so all is new for me! I try to stop to invest in materials, and save some money to go to England and follow the lessons by David.
When I received the spindles and the wheels, I show the pictures here.

Alfred de Goeij

Post by Alfred de Goeij » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:38 am

Last week I recieved my spindels from Merker, and start to put the lathe on the table with the motor.
spindles.jpg
spindles.jpg (121.57 KiB) Viewed 271 times
I made a quick set-up of it, and make it running so I can count the rpm of the different sizes of the trapezium pully and motor.

Next week I am going to make the box behind the wheel to catch the water that is going to fly away from the wheel.
Attachments
spindwhee.jpg
spindwhee.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 271 times
quick setup.jpg
quick setup.jpg (98.44 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Terry Westlin

Post by Terry Westlin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Alfred thank you for posting your project and the progress.

I also love the work and looking forward to seeing some of your projects once your up and running.
Terry

Alfred de Goeij

Post by Alfred de Goeij » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:46 am

Here I am again,

It took me a lot of time to figure out what the speed of the wheel is, with the different pulleys on the motor and Spatzier, but I think I find it.
I also build a watertowerbox to cachs the splashing water from the wheel. I get it out of the book from Merker and was thinking that it was to big. For now I use a little pump, and circulate the water so I can finaly try the first time. The tower is not to big because the water splashing up to 3/4 of the size!
sp met tower.jpg
sp met tower.jpg (86.17 KiB) Viewed 176 times
It took a few minutes to get the wheel straight running. I need to give little hits (when I stopped it!) against it and look if it's in line.

For the moment I have only 3mm glass, but I want to try!

So here is my first cutting. ( And I love it hahaha)
Maybe there is somebody out there, who can give me some advice for practising figures, or other advices.

Greatings,

Alfred
Attachments
sterretje.jpg
sterretje.jpg (312.63 KiB) Viewed 176 times

John Smith

Post by John Smith » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:08 am

wow - very impressive !!
I love to see old equipment and tools used in our modern world.
good work !! I can imagine you working at the Waterford Crystal Co. in no time.
good luck with your new find. pay very close attention to the bearings in the Spatzier.
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)