Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Large Scale Printed Design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jacob Bonta

Large Scale Printed Design

Post by Jacob Bonta »

Hello,

I've been looking around for the answer to this question, and haven't been very successful. Anyways, here it is: Where do you go to get a design printed in large format? Bigger that 3'x3'. I'm trying to print a digital drawing so I can create an outline to trace, and can't seem to find where to get a super large scale version printed. Hopefully someone on here has the answer to this. Thanks in advance!

-Jake Bonta
Doug Bernhardt

Re: Large Scale Printed Design

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Jacob, I'm not sure if this is the answer you're looking for but if you have access to a projector (there are quite a few on the market) you should be able to trace your design to anything you like as far as size goes. I have an old Artograph from many years ago but they also make them to accept digital images and photos these days.
Jacob Bonta

Post by Jacob Bonta »

I did have access to a projector for a while, until it blew up... It was an old overhead projector, and stopped working during my second project with it. I'd love to get another one sometime, because of how easy it was to get the outline of the image on my working surface. I'm still wondering how to get a large printed version of my outline for the pounce pattern technique.
Terry Westlin

Post by Terry Westlin »

If it's a picture or copy of some sort, scan it into your computer and put the file on a jump drive. Find an office supply store and some wally worlds can print 4' or larger. If it's just for tracing then quality is not much of an issue so draft mode may not be as much.

I have also taken pictures (with something to scale off of) head on and just loaded that into the computer and traced from there.

You could also tile your copy as a last resort and tape it all together for tracing?
Terry
John Smith

Post by John Smith »

[I know it's been over a month, and he probably already has it done by now] - - - -

like Terry said: it's called "tiling" - where you print out large designs on smaller pieces of paper
such as on a 24" plotter - then glue them all together to trace out onto your substrate.
just like the guys that do vehicle wraps - several pieces that come together.
not just one large sheet.
I know a lady that printed out over two hundred pages on her desk top printer and
taped them all together to make her wall mural pattern.
with the paper pattern, this gives you the chance to hang it in place and fine tune
any areas that you feel the need to be adjusted.
any vinyl sticker shop should be able to do this for you. if you can't find someone local,
I am sure you can find a vinyl shop online that can do it for you.
check E-Bay for an overhead projector - if you think you will have several needs in the future.
good luck.
Kings Bay Signs
Kingsland, GA ~ 1980-2008 (Retired)