Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Morris minor glass panels

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

DAVE SMITH

Morris minor glass panels

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Wanted to keep you guys in touch with what I'm upto with my van. I have nearly finished the side roof signs for the vehicle . These panels of glass are 3'' x37'' Angelgilded they go into the carvings which I made for the side panels on my roofrack, this will all be eventually bolted to the roofrack side.
The frames around the glass are welded brass which look real old and are very heavy ,the glass has briliant cut punties in circles and an oval silvered puntie, the border is acid etched. The Morris Minor event is on Saturday, I will get take some more photos once all the glass is installed in the van.
Thanks.
Dave

Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

I am really looking forward to seeing it all together!!!

Roderick
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I am as well Rod, just hope it blends with the car and the other glass. If it looks silly I will take these carvings off...... not sure yet.
This is the other side mate.
Dave
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

For one guy doin' glass, you have a lot of work in mind.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

From this day forth, whenever I hear mention of the Crown Jewels, I will immediately think of Dave's Morris!
Pat
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

Real Nice Dave- those carvings came out well too!- (I bet Mel's glad to have her table back)
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Mel is very glad Wayne. Fitting the glass in the windows in the morning. I test drove her today,first time in 4 years drives very nicely, she passed the MOT first go to make her road worthy and being a nostalgic vehicle the tax is exempt. The carvings I started 2 years back Larry while in Scotland, Doug B was there to point me in the right direction. Its only this last 4 months I decided to get in and finish them of an evening,I never want to see a chisel again- I really take my hat off to those guys like Doug B and Paul White . So much work involved........

Dave
joe cieslowski

Post by joe cieslowski »

Give me a break.......He carves too!!!! ;)

Nice combination, Dave. You got help on the carving from one of the best. Doug's work came to mind as soon as I say the carvings.

Sweet!

Joe,

Makin Chips and Havin Fun!
Makin Chip$ and Havin Fun!
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Excellent Work Dave! Can't wait to see the finished project. :!:
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

I finished the van but the weather here over the weekend was heavy rain and wind so the event for the cars was cancelled. There are lots more classic car events over the next year so I will place her in some of those. This is how she looked with all the glass in - never had time to finish the other back glass panel or even put my telephone number on the doors. I settled on making a temporary 60 year anniversary badge for the day.
Anyway hope you like the finished look.
Dave
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

CRIKEY ! ! !
Mike Faig

Post by Mike Faig »

Mr. Smith, that is stunning.
Wayne Osborne

Post by Wayne Osborne »

You clever clever boy!
Very Nice Dave- Been looking forward to seeing that for ages!

(BTW: did you letter your neighbours gate pillar too?) :D
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

WOW ! That is really something to see.Rick is probably roll in his grave right now thinking how cool this is.

Thanks for the inspration
Roderick
Robare M. Novou

Post by Robare M. Novou »

Holy Pimp-My-Ride! That is one fine Windows-on-Wheels Mobile!

So Dave, What next? Windows for the Space Shuttle? ;)
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks....... The car looks new considering it was made in 1968. We all say this but photos really don't show what its like especially my photos. Just been out for a drive in her ,nice sunny evening here -just getting loads of people looking all the time, she's a real head turner which is what it was designed to be- especially with the gold shimmering the way it does.
The back is kitted out in ash wood varnished and all the upholstery is heritage green leather .I will take a few photos of the inside tomorrow.
Thanks for the interest here lads...... Space shuttle next it is then.
Dave
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

you shine like the door of a hore house.
a blind man can spot you a mile off.
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
cam bortz

Post by cam bortz »

Stunning. :shock: That's the only word that comes to mind. Mr. Smith just keeps upping the bar. :D :D
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

Dave - the MOT just won't know what hit 'em. Think it will pass?
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

The MOT passed a few weeks back Sarah-she runs very well .Glad to see you got the Smith tips ok also.
Thanks Cam.
Dave
Kent Smith

Post by Kent Smith »

Sweet ride and it all fits together well befitting your image.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Hello guys.
I posted my van on some vintage car sites over here. The small graphics I made for the side of my van have been selling like hotcakes.
Never really wanted to get into selling loads of these designs so I set my daughter Hannah making them.
Just re-designed this one for the national meet in a few months time. The colours are traditional to this car as is the badge with the bull.
Already picked up a job to signwrite in reverse glass onto another van the same as mine.
Shoe shop sign this time round.

Dave

Robert Schwieger

Post by Robert Schwieger »

Simply great work again. Is the small graphic for the side of your van digital, screenprinted. brush or ? Keep the fine work coming our way. Bob
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Thanks Rob.
Yes for a while I will be placing these on the doors.
Up close the car graphic has a water colour look and also the background mountains.
Its just I needed something for the main rally in a months time,over 2000 Minors turning up so it should
be good for social and business.
Dave
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

Hi Dave,
The vehicle is indeed stunning, a credit to your skills and an inspiration to all who push paint and gild glass and I'm sure will bring you lots of quality work, hope it sleeps in a garage ! The next time I'm down your way I will call in for a closer look,

Brian.
www.brianthebrushuk.com
With a stroke more imagination.
DAVE SMITH

Post by DAVE SMITH »

Ok Brian thanks.
Dave
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Davey....the old Morris looks amazing as does the artwork. I guess it reminds me of your bathroom reno. Right over the top..... Kinda like stepping into the Saturday Night Fever movie set.
Stan Hubbard

Post by Stan Hubbard »

Mr. Smith, wow, what a wonderfull piece of work! For someone like me that's new to this craft, seeing this caliber of work is enormously inspiring! Thanks for posting it so it can be enjoyed by others. Here in Alaska I rarely see a piece of chipping or gilding. And nothing that even comes close to this level. I better get busy practicing. Thanks again! Stan
margaret norman

First car...

Post by margaret norman »

Mind numbingly lovely work Mr Smith.

My first car was a morris 1000 estate, though not as pretty as this one.

Richard
Bobbie Rochow

Post by Bobbie Rochow »

Wow! I don't recall ever using the word breathtaking before, but this is the word that came to mind! How absolutely beautiful!!!! So much to study & everything!