Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Re-silver date stamp

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Stuart Norton

Re-silver date stamp

Post by Stuart Norton »

A re-silver job last week It felt like sacrilege, to re-silver see the date stamp on back
Attachments
date stamp.jpg
date stamp.jpg (39.32 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
Ismael Alvarado

Re: Re-silver date stamp

Post by Ismael Alvarado »

Stuart Norton wrote:A re-silver job last week It felt like sacrilege, to re-silver see the date stamp on back
Wow.. :shock:
my Great gandmother(god bless her sould) was born on that year...sadly she past away 10 years ago... :cry:
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

I love those old date stamps. I have even purchased old mirrors from antique shops in hopes of peeking under the railroad board backer and finding the maker's stamp and date of manufacture. I have collected a few from old Los Angeles mirror makers and have entertained the idea of having duplicate rubber stamps made to match the originals used to date the original mirrors.
An old glass man once told me that the old wheel cut design mirrors were referred to as "Kentucky Mirrors" although he did not know exactly why, and I have yet to find an explanation.
Pat
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Well guess what. I just googled Kentucky Mirror and found a website for the Kentucky Mirror Works founded in 1905.
By the age of the building it would be very easy to imagine a mirror department of fellows beveling, wheel cutting, and silvering hundreds of those fancy little mirrors.
www.kentuckymirror.com/aboutUsLouisville.html
Attachments
Depp/Dillinger Movie
Depp/Dillinger Movie
mirror.jpg (66.52 KiB) Viewed 2689 times