Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Off Topic: Screen Capture Software

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Ron Berlier

Off Topic: Screen Capture Software

Post by Ron Berlier »

:D :?:
I'm interested in acquiring software that will allow the capture of dialog boxes and other screen images, total and partial.

I have seen numerous versions from doing a Google search, but would like to know if anyone has specific experience with a product they would recommend?

Thanks.
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Bill Cosharek

Post by Bill Cosharek »

Ron, I'm not familiar with any specific software for that purpose, but am sure you could accomplish that in a photo-editing program such as Photoshop or Photopaint.

To select the screen objects, when viewing, hit the 'Prnt Scrn' button on your keyboard. This copies what you see into the Clipboard of Windows. (assuming you use Windows) Open your photo software & do 'ctrl +v' to paste into program. There, you should be able to crop as you please. I find that leaving it at 100% keeps words from becoming garbled. Once you have what you want, save it in extension of your choice. Hope this helps.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ron,
There a lot of screen capture utilities out there. Many are free and probably work fine.

Upon SignCraft's recommendation, I downloaded and tried out HyperSnap, then paid the price for the fully working software. Seems like it was only about $19.95.

http://www.hyperionics.com/hsdx/

PrintScreen works, but it captures the full screen image which needs to be cropped down.

Hypersnap will let you select the region you want to capture, and it will let you show or hide the cursor or pointer. I needed that to help illustrate some of the articles on Photoshop and so forth. You can also assign your own specific hot keys in case the default hot keys conflict with a set of hot keys that are needed for the host application.

Once loaded, it runs in the background and isn't in the way until you initiate the hot key combo. Once it captures the image, you can save it or throw it away.

Hope that helps,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Fielder

With a Mac...

Post by Doug Fielder »

With a Mac it is Command + Shift + 3 and you get a picture of anything that is on your screen at that moment. Just watch where your cursor is!

AAAhhhhh! the simplicity of the Macintosh.....
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
marjmeyer

SnagIt for Screen Capture

Post by marjmeyer »

See the review attached. I used SnagIt in my previous testing life at Sprint. Worked great.

http://www.winwriters.com/articles/capt ... hatlookfor
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Thanks for the tip. I will take a look at the link you provided.

"Previous" test life at Sprint?

Thanks again. :D
Ron Berlier
ggodby

Screen Capture

Post by ggodby »

If you by chance have CorelDraw! 12, there is a Screen Capture utility that comes with the whole package. It's really easy to use by simply hitting the F7 key. From there you simply "paste" into a seperate blank page.
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Gary,
Thanks for the information .... unfortunately no Corel. Oh well, the stand-alone programs are only in the $40 range and that seems pretty painless. 8)
Ron Berlier