Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

History of Reverse Glass Signs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

History of Reverse Glass Signs

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Larry White on August 18, 2003
Greetings Everyone-
I would like to compose an article on the history of reverse glass signs. I think this would be an important article to capture and have on the Rick Glawson section of The Letterheads web site. ...now could you imagine asking that question to Rick... you better have packed a lunch. But as keepers of our craft, I think it would be important to document what we know. My knowledge is limited. But if we all pooled our knowledge together, I would be more than happy to try to compile it into a meaningful article. This history should include Rick's efforts and go to the present. So... who would like to start..... also if anyone has any digital pictures of the old antique signs, or know of websites where to find them on please let me know. Thanks, Larry

Roderick
Great Idea.Theres a photo of an old popcorn wagon window on my web site.I know it was an orignal piece that was removed and replaced with a new one.I'm guessing early 1900s.Also I have a soft bound book about "The Cafe Florine" in Italy.All the walls are backpainted decrative glass(no signs)Incredeble art work.
The web page is www.ghosttownsigns.com/ghostsigns1.html look down at the bottom.
Let me know what I can do.
Roderick
Larry White
or, if this history is already documented somewhere, where can I find it. Thanks, Larry
Mike Jackson
Hi Larry,
I have a book here called "Sign Writer and Glass Embosser" by Callingham. It was printed in 1871 and he has quite an introduction dealing with the beginnings of sign writing along with the art glass embossing as they called it. I might consider sending/loaning you the book if you are going to tackle the project. I think he covers the subject quite well.

Here are a couple of sentences I found without much effort.

"We have said that the a lot of glass embossing is of quite recent origin. Indeed, as at present practised, it does not date back for more than twenty or thirty years at the most" (remember it is an 1871 book)

It's a real sleeper. Dry reading with not much in the way of photos or diagrams, but it probably has the basis for beginnings of the craft.

Let me know,
Mike Jackson
Lee Littlewood
the early stuff is really an interesting subject. We know that reverse glass painting and gilding was done on panels, probably small and framed for indoor use - right, you verre eglomise students? So it seems that the materials and techniques go back a long way. i've always assumed that the use of reverse glass gold for signs was dependent on the availability of big pieces of flat glass, which could then be used for store windows or sign panels. Find when and where the glass appeared and we'd have the likely beginnings of our reverse gilded signs.
Mike Jackson
Lee,
While I was leafing through that old book, there was a reference to the "glass tax" that was apparently imposed at one time in the states. The book was published in the US, so I have to assume he was referring to a tax in the states and not something that happened in London. I didn't read the entire section, but that caught my eye. Sheet glass was hard to come by, apparently. That book was printed in 1871. The Costner movie was based on an 1885 time period, so the glass Pat mentioned would have been from that era. Clear, but wavy.

I also have a book called "The History of Sign Boards" somewhere here. It probably parallels some of what Callingham was writing, though I am almost certain it was printed in the UK.