Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Lettering on surface of a Mirror

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Lettering on surface of a Mirror

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Rick Sacks on August 18, 2003
When I was early on in this craft I was hired to do water color lettering and Christmas decorations on mirrors behind the bar at the American Legion Hall. This is where I discovered that the tip of the brush reflectec off the back surface of the glass, causing a blob to happen before I thought I was making contact. I started looking for a means of coating the surface of the glass with something so I could see it. What are the ways you have solved this dilemma ?
Mike Jackson
Rick,
I haven't done any surface painting of mirrors in a long time, but I think you could use a pounce bag of Kaolin or Spanish Whiting and lightly powder the surface of the mirror.

If you try it, let us know how it works.

Mike Jackson
Roderick
I know this is a bit off the subject but depending on how long you want it to last after you've finished lay down a layer of shellack first( maybe you could put somecolor it that).and finish with another layer of shellack over and it will last for years.
Roderick