Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Rick's Funeral ( Out of date but a must read )

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Rick's Funeral ( Out of date but a must read )

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Kent Smith on March 11, 2003
Monday, March 17 11:00AM, Greenhills Memorial Park, 2760 S. Western Avenue, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA 90275 310-831-0311 We will be there.
Kent Smith
The address should be 27600 S. Western Ave.

Lola was shook up when she gave it to me.
Mike Jackson
I spoke with Raymond Chapman this morning, and he is going to lead the services for Rick on Monday.

Mike Jackson
Carol
At the risk of being disrepectful I have a question. If there is a funeral, there will be a casket. Will anyone gild/pinstripe it? It seems to me it would be something that would appeal to Rick. Send him off in a beautiful fire truck or antique safe. Just a thought. I'm sorry I can't be there.
Kimberly Zanetti
It's funny that you say that Carol. Right after my father (Al Zanetti) died, Rick invited me to the Conclave in 2002. I had my father's ashes in a very boring black metal box so I contacted Rick Sacks before the Conclave and asked him if he thought it would be poor taste to bring the box and get some Letterheads to do some decoration to it. He thought it was a fine idea so I brought it to the Conclave and Rick, Patrick Smith and Jim Moser spent that Sunday morning on it. It is now properly goldleafed, hand lettered and pinstriped!
Mike Jackson
In my numerous conversations with some of the old Conclave participants, someone suggested sizing the casket lid in the morning and letting anyone passing by at the funeral to lay a sheet of leaf. While some people might be offended, I bet Rick would give the thumbs up to it. Your post pretty much confirms what I had suspected. It's not my call, of course!

King Tut/Rick
Lee Littlewood
Mike, that is Brilliant! 24K+! Comes the resurrection, the first thing you'd see is gold. And the image of sending out our royalty like the Egyptians, in a gilded casket....
Of course, as noted, it's not our call.
On Monday afternoon I'm going to lay a leaf somewhere out of the way, maybe the mirror in the bathroom. It should wear away slowly as we clean the mirror (actually, the way we keep house, it won't suffer much wear, but you know what I mean). {When I heard that John Lennon died I was standing by the radial arm saw, and wrote his birth date on the saw table with a Sharpie. For a couple of years the blade cut grooves thru it - too powerful.} Mostly, it will be comforting to do something with gold at the same time as the burial.
Wonder if there are any possibilites with the gravestone? Most places want granite, laid flat so it's easy to mow over. Could a reverse-gilded sheet of glass be bonded to stone for strength?

Mike Jackson
Lee,
More than likely, Rick would have given the thumbs up on something like this, but the funeral was pretty formal in the end. I don't think the blood line family would have "got it". If it helps, Sean from San Louis Obispo (sp?)was cleaning out a well used quill brush from his sign kit as we walked by him on out way to the graveside. After the service, he managed to stick it in the flower arrangement on top of the casket. I think Rick would have had a chuckle.

Mike Jackson