Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Window Painting Question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Window Painting Question

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Kelly White on February 13, 2003
Im working in Pittsburgh, PA where the temperature has been freezing for weeks, and have to paint a window for a store. My problem is that since its so cold out and warm inside, the window sweats with condensation, and if I turn the heat off, the window is freezing and the paint wont dry. Im using 1 Shot enamal also. Any suggestions would help!
Jeffrey P. Lang
Kelly,
When there is a big temperature difference between inside & outside, I cover the entire piece of glass outside with a sheet of foam insulation. It will warm up the glass conciderably from the inside. The bonus is you won't have the pesky onlookers distracting you when you work.
Good luck!
Jeff (in Pgh. too)
Billy Bob
Use a fan (or two) to prevent condensation, and absorbant towels to wipe a majority of the water away first. On cold glass the one-shot will take much longer to dry, but will eventually. Use the fan on the work to help speed it along. Good luck!
Rob Blais
I use a glove with the finger tips cut off to avoid the condensation created by my hand being against the glass or a mahlstick . Ive also had good results using 1 shot poster color on the inside of glass it dries quick amd has the appearance of the enamel on the outside . good luck from Rhode Island.
Kelly W.
Thanks Bob, the glove trick sounds promising.
Kelly W.
Thanks guys for the info, especially Jeff whos feeling the freeze with me in the Burgh!