Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Laser Level?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Laser Level?

Post by Danny Baronian »

Looking over Harry's post ' Putting lines on Foamcore' brought over from the old board, has anyone considered a laser level? Not long ago the entry level was around $ 500, now I see them advertised in the 20 - 30 dollar range.

I bought one years ago, and many times have eliminated a chalk line, especially when working on new interior walls. At 25 bucks they could be a possible solution for anyone should they encounter the type of job listed above.

Other than that, how many of you had customers look over your shoulders as you've installed dimensional letters or signs and ask- ' is the bubble too close to the line on the right, does it need to be more to the left?"?
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Danny,
In my experience, we found it better and easier to install dimensional letters over a pounced pattern. In that case, we just had to square up the piece of paper once, either level to the earth, or measured from the ceiling down or some other level "looking" line.

Also, (in the old days) we used to buy cast letters, or plastic letters which would be installed with studs glued into holes drilled in the wall or background. To do that, we spaced all the letters on the pattern paper while in the shop. Then, with the pattern paper lying on a piece of carpet, we inserted the studs and aligned the letter over the layout line. Some studs had sharp points which would puncture the paper, or at least leave a dimple where the stud would be. When on the job, all we needed to do was drill through the holes using a hammer drill or whatever drill was necessary. The letters would mount easily into the holes.

With a CNC router, you can do the same thing, assuming you cut your letters from the back in reverse. Before cutting the letters out, you let the router put in all your mounting stud holes partially through on the back. Your computer layout design will have the holes in the exact position, along with the letter contour when you make a pounce pattern.

My experience has told me to trust levels in most cases, but not all buildings and backgrounds are perfectly level. If I had one of those lazer levels, I'd have to use it backed with my earlier installations to guide me.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Joe House

Post by Joe House »

Danny, being a tool junkie, I recieved a couple of laser levels this last Christmas from family members. One was in the $25-30 range and the other was around $60. I would say not to even bother with the cheaper ones. Not very practical in my opinion. The $60 one also has the advantage of having a stud finder built in.

Just my $.02 worth

Joe
Best Regards,
Joe House
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

I was mainly responding to Harry's problem with layout on a material that would be difficult to clean up afterward. I was also curious wether anyone else had found a good use for laser levels.

As another tool junkie, my favorite are one of the many traditional levels collected over the years. There's only been a few times when the laser level has proved useful with signage. One when we lettered an exterior wall with 4' letters over a length of 300'. A level in combination with chalk line would have done fine, the laser level in combination with the chalk line just made it a little faster.

Installing letters are simple since mine are produced on the CNC. Stud mounted letters are cut face down, blind drilled, then cut and tapped. All like letters have the same hole placement so letters are completely interchangeable. Run the same router file through the plotter as a pen plot and you have a fool proof means of placement.

There were a few instances in commercial buildings that neither the ceiling or the floor was level, making it difficult to adjust the letters visually. With the laser level I was able project a line on the wall, measuring up to the ceiling and down to the floor; neither was level, and the client was able to see that without marking on the wall. After that I put the pattern on the wall, leveled it with a standard 2' level and everyone was happy.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com