Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Finally! Halsted's Modern Ornament and Design - 1st Edition

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Finally! Halsted's Modern Ornament and Design - 1st Edition

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on March 10, 2003
I've been collecting old sign books for a long time, but have never been able to find an original 1927 Halsted Modern Ornament and Design. I have the reprint from ST from the late 80's, but not an original. Tonight I was browsing around the Internet and found one...and it is even signed by Halsted. Cool!

I noticed there is another one available, too.

Mike Jackson
Robert Beverly
I would love to get that last copy if it is still out there Mike!
Jeffrey P. Lang
Mike,
Nice find. I enjoyed the top 25 sign books you wrote about for the Sign Museum. It is a wonderful review of many old books I think, & a good search list for my future collection. Are there any you don't have?
Thanks,
Jeff

Top 25 Early Sign Makin Books
http://www.signmuseum.org/exhibits/libr ... books.html
Mike Jackson - Top 25
Hi Jeff,
Out of the top 25 group, I had originals of all of them except the Halsted book. I have a huge library of the old books, but there are quite a few that I know about but don't own. Finding one that I have been searching for (roughly 25 years) is a big deal! ST published that book a long time ago, and it was advertised in their magazine for several years, so it is surprising to me that it is so difficult to find. My Heberling book is pretty beat up and I'd like to replace it someday.

Thanks for the note and thumbs up on the Top 25 Review.

Mike Jackson