Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Layouts - Exporting

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Layouts - Exporting

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Steve Keith on January 31, 2003
I'm basicly a brush man but use a old 4b graphic advantage as well. I'm wanting to export designs from the gerber advantage to anyone with a pc. These are not all sign designs. I tried the file converter but the files the program will convert to are not openable on every pc. Do I need to convert the design files to jpeg, bmp, or something more universal. If so how, those choices for conversion don't show up in the file coverter window. I'd like to e-mail them in full color. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks SK
Mike Jackson
Hi Steve,
I have GA. You should be able to export the file out as AI and then open it in most other programs. You need to reduce the size of the layout down to 32" or less in some cases, since that is the maximum work space on some desktop publishing programs.

I just wrote an article for SignCraft Magazine which deals with some of this issue. GA does not have a bitmap export filter such as bmp, jpg or tiff. You can still export it as AI and open it in photoshop or most other photo paint programs and then save it as whatever you want. Omega will export several of the other formats.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson

Kent Smith
Also, you may need to let them know that the file you are exporting will need to be opened as a version 5 or earlier .ai file. Some programs do not automatically recognize that, expecially with earlier versions of Windows OS.

Joe House
A more universal option would be to get Snagit from Techsmith.com. You can get an evaluation version for free to try it out. This program allows you to take a snapshot of any portion of your windows screen and save it as a .BMP, .TIF or other graphic formats that can be opened on standard windows programs (paint or IE)If you just want to give someone a low cost proof for emailing, this is a good way to go.
A more expensive option would be to get a PDF writer that you could save the file by "printing" to the PDF writer.

Techsmith Snagit
http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp