Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Directory Signs

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Directory Signs

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on December 27, 2002
As I drive around town, I notice a few of the directory signs we did and a few others did that rub me the wrong way. It's none of my business now, of course, but we designed most of them so the letterstyle, height, weight, color and so forth were the same. The longest name of the group would usually "set the curve", so to speak. The longest names filled the panel appropriately left to righ. Occasionally an especially short name didn't seem to fill the panel enough....but that is part of designing a directory.

It seems that eventually a new tennant enters the picture, and all the consistency originally designed into the directory goes out the window. While most of the elements might be the same, somehow the font is bolder, letters are taller, and the new tennant dominates the grouping. I suspect part of the problem stems from later shops knowing there ever was a consistent pattern to the rest of the group.

We used to do quite a few "Slatz" direcories, too. The owner of the complex would buy the directories from us and then pay to have the new tennant's name added to it after they signed the lease. I'd hate to count how many times the tennants would snap the entire panel out of the directory and take it with them when they left the complex. One of the beauties of the Slatz system is the fact you can scrape off all vinyl lettering (or hand lettering), clean with a little laquer thinner or goo-gone, and reletter it without any damage to the background. That only works if there is still a panel in the directory!

To me, directories and menus fall into the same category. They are a pain to do and a pain to maintain. You can usually make decent money on the intial go around, but it is hard to make any money on the changes and additions.

Anyone else have any insights or observations?

Mike Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Rick Sacks
I was ssurprised when a customer came to me and during conversation it came out that having me do the sign was written into his lease agreement. The owner wanted to maintain a specific continuity and thought this might be the best way to accomplish this. I don't know if it is legal, and I feel better when someone seeks me out by choice, but the building does have a consistant look without the business appearing to be competing with each other.
Danny Baronian
Getting the entire job, room numbers, lobby directories are quite profitable. The rest, tenant additions and changes are another matter and are rarely profitable, especially if where building management insists on screen-printed directories.

Continuntity is totally up to Building Management. The only buildings I ‘ve seen that have a firm grip on this is in buildings that have a good budget for signage. As you’ve noted you will see many different fonts as well as letter styles. I’ve seen as many as 4-5 different typestyles, vinyl and background colors all within a couple of floors.

The best jobs are where the building manager wants samples and inspects the work to see continuity. They also have a sign manual with all the original specs spelled out. Too often when a building manager departs he/she takes the manual with them. If the original signage was installed 5 years earlier your chances of seeing any specs at all are nil.

This type of manager spells out what is and is not allowed, and does not deviate. A dollar amount is usually allowed for incoming tenants for signage, part put up by management, part by the tenant, so if a plaque is taken, in a way it was paid for by the client. When I do the original job additional plaques are included so there are usually enough to cover those that acquire feet.

Danny
Carol
Danny says: so if a plaque is taken, in a way it was paid for by the client.

Perhaps it should be pointed out to the client that they are buying ADVERTISING on a directory not the actual plaque. It might not prevent the practice, but it might reinforce the idea that they are often buying advertising not furniture.
I like the idea of Rick being written into the contract!
Danny Baronian

One more thing:

"I suspect part of the problem stems from later shops knowing there ever was a consistent pattern to the rest of the group." per Mike's post.

This is the main problem. It's the sign shop's responsibility to check the existing signage and talk with building management to do the job correctly. As we all know, this often takes more time than it should.

If you don't your just a shop that runs a cut and stick shop.

Danny
Joe
I am so glad you guys brought this subject to the table.

Since the Slatz period, Mike speaks of, there are lots of alternative materials. Many are good looking and fade resistant.

Burlane is a handy source and they will shear or cut their products as you wish.

We occasionally us bright gold anocized aluminum and sandblasted background. This gives a very readable panel and lasts a long time.

Here is how we do it:

Cut & apply vinyl names to the aluminum panels along with a Golden Era decorative border. Dust each piece in our sandblast cabinet under low pressure. This takes only a few seconds. The vinyl name is left, but remove the decorative vinyl border. You come out with a burnished border and a soft gold background with vinyl copy. "Looks Good & Lasts A Long Time". Looks bett
er than it sounds.

Most of the profit from ID Signs (Directroies) is at the front of the job. We have a minimum charge of $100.00. Cheap customers just fade away.

I have seldom completed a sign for a cheap customer, that I felt good about, or that I would do again. So!

Joe