Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Changing Times

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Changing Times

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Dan Sawatzky on February 05, 2002
I've found that over the years our business has changed a great deal. I believe in our case its not because of technical changes as much as growth in skills and changes of interests. My own health concerns also played a lot in our choices lately. A chronic back condition limits severely what I can do in the future.

Over the years I have done fine art, signs, murals, architectural design, theme work, and now back into design/consulting of all of the above. The marvelous tools available via the computer will make this job so much easier.

I enjoy sketching ideas in my sketch book and then scan them for reworking. Much of my design work is done on the screen with a digital pad and freehand programs (Painter and Photoshop) The communication devices allow me to have clients far away from me and yet still allow instant communication and file transfer. Too cool! All the years of drawing, color theory, and layout skills aquired the 'old way' are now being used in this new medium for the purpose of design.

We are going through a name change once again to reflect these changes. It didn't come about without a lot of soul searching and discussion.

With our relocation to a new town, and the building of a new facility/studio/shop the time seems right.

Our new name 'Giggle Ridge Studios' reflects where we are and also the style of the work I am currently doing. I am excited about the future!

I also look forward to learning even better the time honored skills of handlettering and also some gold work and carving.

The design work will be done for others to make a living. For the hands-on work we will be our own client and the work will be done for the love of it. It will also make our own project world class.

While many lament the passing of their old skills and methods, I am looking forward to going there more often for the love of it. I hope to be able to attend more meets in the coming years and learn from the masters.

See you there!

-dan
Kent Smith
It takes a lot of courage to make this kind of change. I wish you well and hope to see you again in the future. Good Luck.
Carol
What a great positive post Dan. Thanks. Will you have a new website address? whatsit?
Dan Sawatsky - New Web Site
The new web site is all designed and ready to post but we aren't quite there yet. A few more legal things to put to bed first. My old site is:

www.imaginationcorporation.ca

for the 'sign' company.

The golf is at:
www.giggleridge.com

which we will make a duel site with the 'sign' company soon... probably in the next few weeks.

Much of the content is the same as the previous sites but a little more refined look and more illustrations to show what we are up to in in order for this change. Hopefull I designed it in a way that is easy to navigate and not confusing for our visitors.

I'll post it here when it changes.

Thanks for the inquiry.

-dan