Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Danny, did the paint dry?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Site Man

Danny, did the paint dry?

Post by Site Man »

OLD FORUM POSTS

Posted by Mike Jackson on January 20, 2002
Hi Danny,
To follow up on your rush job last week, did you get the paint to dry on time? Which method did you use? If it didn't dry, do you still have any hair? :)

Mike Jackson
Kent Smith
Sorry I was not in on this one before, recuperating from having that new baby grandaughter here for a week...or was it her mother under our roof again to tire us out. Anyway, Medex tends to hold the moisture from primers beneath the surface, whether water or solvent. This takes about 12 to 16 hours to leech out at temperatures below 60 and humidity at 50% or above. This will always cause the topcoat to dry much more slowly. Also be sure that the primer is both intended for sanding and suitable for topcoating with alkyd enamels. Cam is essentially correct in the addition of O2 however, the cure process must have chemically begun for this to work. It only works when the paint is up to tack but it will not work if the paint is retaining tack due to underlying solvent migration. When using a porous material such as medex, the primer must dry completely. This can be tested with waterbornes by checking the surface temperature. It should match the room temp and not be cooler. When it is cooler, the solvents are still migrating. The temp may only vary a few degrees but you often can also detect the migration by cupping your hand over the surface for a few minutes and feel moisture in the palm of you hand. Waterbornes also dry and cure better at temperatures above 65 as the water will evaporate faster than it can be absorbed by the porous material.

James
I JUST HAD A PAINTER PUT VASPAR BRAND SATIN LATEX IN MY CLOSETS ANS IT'S STILL TACKY AFTER A MONTH
ANY IDEAS? THIS IS A NIGHTMERE
Danny Baronian
In a word, no. But thanks to all for their suggestions.

Still have hair, though slight. Started out that way though.

I did the smart thing with the job. Called the customer, explained the situation, and offered temporary signs until I was able to do the job properly, at my expense. The customer was very understanding, and appreciated the stand ins.

Paint is now dry, and can deliver the job correctly as it should be.

The best part is the fact the customer was so pleased with the finished job, they place an order to several dozen more, with plenty of time for paint to do it's thing.

I did try the hydrogen peroxide trick. Have to try it again sometime though. Was the paint almost dry when it was misted, or was the misting that did the trick? I don't know.

Thanks to all.

Danny