Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Scented Talc

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Rick Sacks

Scented Talc

Post by Rick Sacks »

There have been a few jobs we've done in recent months that have all held a common problem. Following burnishing leaf on surface gilds, the background did not retain the gloss it had previously. It had almost a spotted and blotchy dull look when viewed from some angles. We were able to cover this with the application of some automotive wax.

At this time we're attributing this to the scented talc we used to dust the background, and about to experiment with some side by side tests using plain talc.
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Rick,
In with all the guilding suppiles I inhereted from my dad was a very cool 40's scented talc container with the brand name "NIGHTS IN PARIS" sexy ah?
I thought maybe somthing in there was causeing fish eyes so I stoped using it.Now it's just a display item.Oh yes and I smell good now too! Hope that helps.Let me know if you want some next time we meet and i'll bring it with me.

Roderick
Rick Sacks

Post by Rick Sacks »

Rod, did the fish eye stop when you swiutched to a different product? Reading the name of that stuff, might be your dad programming it into you to drive French cars?
Mendocino, California
"Where the redwoods meet the Sea"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Rick,
You might consider using rouge instead of talcum powder. Two other options would be koalin and spanish whiting. They lack the fragrance additives.

Rouge is used to keep leaves of gold from sticking to the patent leaf tissues papers.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Lee Littlewood

Post by Lee Littlewood »

If you're trying to avoid having the leaf stick to the background, LeBlanc advised eggwhite size or starch (cut potato, pasta water). I have had some remarkable "saves" with eggwite - on one job where the gold took to the background better than to the gold, I flooded the next section with eggwhite, let dry and gilded over, and the gold stuck to the size but washed off the background (!). (I had to go back and cut in background around the first section.) And the liquid protectors don't rough up your size the way that powders do. But for a powder I've been happy with kaolin - 'pouncing' it on and rubbing it around and dusting most of it off before sizing. I think that kaolin somehow sucks up grease and allows you to dust it off. It surely helps for flooding over paint outlines in a Boston Gild.
Kent Smith

fragrance

Post by Kent Smith »

Hi

Most fragrances in talc are originally compounded in an oil like mineral oil and alcohol. Some of the oil stays with the fragrance and could cause contamination. We used to get Mavis brand talc at Woolworth which was unscented. Dad bought it by the case but I am down to my last can and haven't seen it available in 30 years. There may be other pure talcs out there but I have not found one nearby. I recently discovered that the unscented baby powder they have now is a corn starch powder and not a talc. Unlike potato starch, corn starch tends to ball up under paints and sizes so that causes other problems. Kaolin or whiting would be my preference. Fine french whiting can be applied with a damp cotton so that the dry smear is similar to dry BonAmi application. That helps it to stay in place and not end up as granules in the size. More stubbone applications require the egg white mix.
Kent Smith

add mixint

Post by Kent Smith »

Addendum:

if plain water does not work for the smear with either kaolin or whiting, add a few drops or a spoonful of amonia, doesn't matter how much really as it drys out.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

It surely helps for flooding over paint outlines in a Boston Gild.

Could you please expland on this a bit- and explain to a newbie?
Thanks!
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Roderick Treece

Post by Roderick Treece »

Rick,
Yes it did hellp to stop useing the "NIGHTS IN PARIS".But as for the programing my dad was strikly a "Caddy" kind of guy.He didn't mind loaning me the money for my first citreon though.
Roderick