Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Source for Gilders Tip

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dennis Davis

Source for Gilders Tip

Post by Dennis Davis »

Is there a vendor connected with this forum that sells gilders tips? If at all possible, I'd like to stay true to those associated with the group. As a beginner in gilding, do you recommend that I purchase a 3" gilders tip with the cardboard handle? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Oh, Mike, I stopped in at Noel Weber's shop with the intention of introducing myself to him but, unfortunately, he was working with a customer. You talk about some nice eye candy, that shop is full of it.

Dennis
Boise, Idaho
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Check out the "Hard to Find Sign Supplies Page":
http://www.theletterheads.com/supplies/index.htm

There are quite a few companies in the Gold Leaf section that sell gilder's tips. I was told to get a 3" "double thick" tip. It comes already mounted in the cardboard you were mentioning. Gold leaf is usually 3" square, so a 3" one works fine. As you can see, they are available in quite a few sizes.

Also, give Ron a buzz at Letterhead Sign Supply.
http://www.letterheadsignsupply.com/

I am sure he has them.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Mike, thanks for the information. I'll make a few calls and place an order.

Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
BruceJackson

Post by BruceJackson »

I've always found tips to be a bizarre design.
Why carboard? I mean, it's not the most robust of materials is it.

I think if I was going to make one, I'd use a plastic handle.
I'd also make the hair longer so that it holds at least 80% of the leaf. Anyone placing full leaves with those short tips will know what a pest it is to lose the unsupported half of a leaf in a mess of wrinkleswhen it hits the water size.

Maybe not even use squirrel hair. It's only got to pick up the leaf without damaging it. A sheet of something soft that also bends nicely and places the leaf well.

I've used a felt -covered pad for placing schalg. It worked brilliantly. I had to do some entrance columns in copper and with a pad I could roll the leaf on perfectly.
Kent Smith

tips

Post by Kent Smith »

I like the cardboard because it bends nicely although a plastic like thin Lexan would probably work as well and certainly last longer. I am just beginning to be concerned about that durability as my first tip is starting to show signs of wear after 50 years and needs replacement. The hairs are ususally camel hair and some of my original tips are almost 3/4 of an inch longer than those made today. I have no trouble though applying a full leaf with the smaller tips as long as it is well charged and the loose edge is easier to place for overlapping.
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Wow, 50 years! Congrats! I hope to be doing this that long as well.

I just wanted to add that Bill Reidel (Little Ferry, NJ) lays his leaf right from the book onto the glass! He says that he just holds it so close that the leaf just jumps (as it does from the tip too) onto the size. I have yet to try that one, but he too has been at this for 50+ years.

Thank you for sharing all your experience.

Doug Fielder
FALLOUT Grafix
Montpelier, VT