Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Clear Overcoat: Sikkens now Aotocryl?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Clear Overcoat: Sikkens now Aotocryl?

Post by Mike Jackson »

What is the latest information on what is being used to protect gold leaf on trucks? We used Sikkens auto clear for years, they were bought out and the latest name is Autocryl. My son heard some places are using clear vinyl over the gold. Does anyone have any information on this subject?

Bill Riedel

Posted by Mike Jackson for Bill
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Kent Smith

autocryl

Post by Kent Smith »

Autocryl is much the same formula as the original Sikkens. I actually am not privy to their current formula since I am out of the game. I have heard there are other products in development but nothing announced yet. Both Grip Gurad clear and Matthews MAP have brush and roll additives that actually make them better for brush applicaiton maybe some of the other brands do also. These are available from sign supply distribution instead of automotive. Most of the other two component urethane acrylics have the same clarity and durability. The issue is to stay away from the harsh reducers made for spray application. Too harsh a solvent will burn through the porosity of gold leaf, effecting the durabilty and adhesion to the surface of the size underneath. It also can effect the adhesion of the leaf to the size.

As always, the big concern is UV resistant resins since there are no pigments in the clears to protect the resin. The beauty of the early fomula Sikkens was that it not only was resistant to UV breakdown, it was heavy bodied enough to make it more brushable than any other two component. In order to raise the viscosity, brush and roll additives essentially add back in body as well as retard the cure process. Some of this durability can be achieved by adding lettering hardener to sign finishing clear. The clear is essentially the resin that the enamels are formulated in and the resin is not UV resistant. While you will see improved performance using the hardener, it will not replace the durability of two components.