Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

probelms with silver leaf

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Roderick Treece

probelms with silver leaf

Post by Roderick Treece »

I recently did some silver leafing on a very smooth enamel background useing 1 hour oil size.Everything seemed total normal , I had a nice tack ,laid the leaf , then I burnished it and all was good untill I put a coat of clear over it.I used fiberseal and when I brushed it on the leaf just started to come off.It would have made a great aged finish but that wasn't the look I was after.
In all the years I've been guilding i've never had that happen.I'm wondering if my size could have been a little drier maybe.I've used fiberseal alot and never yad that probelm.

Roderick

Ps was I the only one that couldn't see a photo of Larry Whites new sign?
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Roderick...have never tried what you are doing but what I do is use the acrylic clears Mann Bros. or Clearstar to protect 12k, 16k for outdoor use. They work well (so far) Hope this was of some help.