Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

mural defacings

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Tony Segale

mural defacings

Post by Tony Segale »

it's always unbelievable when someone tags or graffittis a mural,
but when inspired by a higher power, it's still called defacing...
in a neargy community 20 minutes south of Lodi, Manteca put togehter a wonderful mural program. The most recent mural was finished last month and sprayed painted by a forty year old vandal in broad daylight two days ago... to read more, the web address is below...

http://recordnet.com/articlelink/061505 ... 5-gn-5.php#
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...I didn't know that chrisians were against vaccnations. Maybe the per is a member of some fundamentalist fringe sect. I hope they catch the nut, but he's probably to sactimonious to repeat his sins.
Dan Sawatzky

Its rare!

Post by Dan Sawatzky »

In all the years I've been painting murals I've never had one defaced and have only seen it very rarely on others and I've done over a hundred murals all over Canada and the US..

I've painted a few of them in places I would never venture otherwise and have even had an armed guard stand watch while I painted in one city. It was spooky! In that location the gangs who we were 'afraid of' did come by. They liked the mural and took the time to have a chat with me. They said of anyone touched the mural they would kill them. I was a believer. And the mural has been safe for many years.

I think most street artists (grafitti) respect the art of others. At least that what I've heard on my travels in the streets.

The mural committees in just about every location were always sweating the 'possible vandalism' of murals. Except for the very odd nutcase wanting to make a statement (like the one in the story) I don't think its something you need to wory about.

--grampa dan
Isn't it great to love what love what you do and do what you love!
Jane Diaz

Post by Jane Diaz »

Andy Goretski did a very clever thing at the Lincoln, IL meet we were at and I thought I would share it.
There were some young "toughs" hanging around, acting cool and making comments about the mural that Andy & Lauri were project leaders for. While we were all working, Andy walked right over, befriended them, asked them to help with a few things and enlisted their help in working on "our" mural. They came back numerous times through out the time we were there and asked if there was anything we needed and everyone welcomed them with smiles. We shared our drinks and snacks with them, etc. At the end of the meet, when we were all taking photos of everyone who worked on the mural in front of it, we included them. Then Andy went over and told them that we were all leaving. So THEY would be the guardians of this mural. They should make sure nothing happened to it. We also took pictures of just them in front of THEIR mural. So if there were thoughts of any murals being vandalized in Lincoln, that one is probably safe! I thought this was a great way to include the townspeople and I know those kids really felt special. Andy took a possible negative and turned it into a positive!