Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Bad luck in 3s or 4s?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Bad luck in 3s or 4s?

Post by Mike Jackson »

I've been abnormally quiet on the forum lately...and happy to see all the post and replies. Thanks to all!

It has been a busy few weeks for the Jackson family. Generally speaking, summers are always busy and short. Corey, our youngest son, has been playing baseball two days a week all summer, then was selected to be in the 11-12 year old all-stars. We scheduled a short rendezvous with my Mom and older sister in Denver a couple of weeks ago, between league games and before All-Stars. Denver is about half way for both of us. On the way, we had a major blow out on the van outside Vail, CO, causing around $5,000 damage to the van. The flapping tire tore off the rear bumber, damaged the sliding door and rear fender, broke off a lug nut and tore out several semi-exposed hoses under the wheel well. The hoses had airconditioning and heating fluids for the rear of the van. We hope to go pick up the van this week and bring it back to Jackson Hole for the body and paint work.

After the blow out, we rented a Nissan Pathfinder to finish the trip to Denver. Just a block from the motel, a yound couple rear-ended the rental car. No one was hurt in either accident. We drove the rental car to Jackson, where we opted to pay the $500 drop off fee instead of losing another two days of work, one night in a hotel, and gas for 1000 miles. State Farm insurance is picking up part of that fee.

Last Tuesday, Corey was at the skate park late in the evening. The softball field lights were on, allowing night skating. Chip Carter (Island Design) was in town, so were out having a couple of drinks and enjoying some live music. The phone rang and all we heard was "Corey was bit by a dog", so I headed home. A pit bull dog had jumped into one of the small skate board bowls and bit through Corey's knee pad, breaking the skin just above his knee. The police came over to make a report, then I took Corey to the Emergency Room as instructed by the police. The next day, the police found the dog and the dog owner. Of course, the dog hadn't had his rabies vaccination. It was put into quarantine. With no vaccination, our doctor didn't want to wait 10 days to see if the dog developed symptoms, so just before we were supposed to head to another weekend of baseball, we had to rush Corey over to the office to begin the rabies shots. He had five shots in the knee, followed by one in his arm and one in the butt. (Rabies shots are not given in the stomach anymore)

We then drove to Soda Springs, ID for the baseball tournament in our friend's Volvo. On Saturday, we headed back only to have an oncoming vehicle kick up a good sized rock and break the windowshield. Luckily, when asked this morning, our friend has full replacement windshield insurance or we'd expect to pay at least $100 deductable or around $450 to replace it.

Tomorrow, I need to go down to the police station and sign papers allowing them to cite the dog owner and make the dog owners appear in front of the judge. Right now, the dog owner has agreed to pay for the expenses, but I doubt he knew he'd have to pay for not only the emergency room expenses and the antibiotics, but also for the very expensive rabies shots. The doctor just said "thousands" of dollars to prepare us. Apparently, we need a legal "judgement" against the dog owner in case they decide they really don't feel like paying. Hopefully, they will plead guilty right off and get it over, but it could then take another courtroom hearing. (similar to the People's Court). Yuk.

Chip Carter is still here. He is going to drop me off at the car shop in Vail. He has to return his rental car back in Grand Junction. He's driving a rental car as a result of rolling (and totalling) his truck about a month ago. He was banged up a little, but appears to be okay. And if all that wasn't bad enough, one of Darla's friends and two kids are staying with us for a few months while working out a divorce. The oldest boy was driving across Wyoming to go to a 4-H shooting event. Wylie (15 years, 11 months) was driving at the time on his learner's permit and had to dodge a deer in the road. He oversteered and rolled their Expedition.

Needless to say, I haven't had much time to be on line, or get much work done. Corey has one final League Championship game on Monday, then Chip and I leave for the 500 mile drive to Vail to pick up my injured van, and I will drive back up to Montpelier, ID for another baseball tournament that begins on Thursday morning.

I hope things go smoother for everyone around us now!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Mike, since you obviously have received what must be your total allotment of bad luck (for at least the next year or two), now could be a good time to hit Vegas. ...Don't drive there though!!!
Dan Seese

Post by Dan Seese »

Mike,
Welcome back. We're thankful that your family is safely home in spite of everything.
Next time you head down this direction you should stop in Fort Collins.
Dan
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Thanks for the comments of support. As an update, the Pit Bull dog was put to sleep and then analyzed for rabies. Tests showed up negative, so Corey doesn't have to continue with the rabies shots.

Chip and I are headed south tomorrow so I can pick up my driveable van.

Maybe things will smooth out here soon.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

When it rains, it pours.

I am going to put off our trip to Jackson Hole for awhile. You are just too dangerous to be around right now.

Tell Chip hello for me....and good luck (sounds like he'll need it)
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Whew...am winded just hearing about it. You've had your share, but I like Billy Bobs take on it, and no driving.
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

At least no one's in the hospital. Knock on wood.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Jon,
Yes, we have been thankful things weren't much, much worse. A blow out at 70 MPH can often cause the vehicle to roll, but luckily it was on the right rear tire and I was able to pull it off slowly and safely. Corey had to go to the Emergency Room to get checked out initially since the dog bite happened after regular clinic hours.

As a final update, Chip Carter dropped me off at the Ford place to pick up my van. It received all new tires, and some basic maintenance--at least enough to make it driveable. The tire ripped the air conditioner lines, so I had to drive home with no AC and it was plenty hot. On one two lane road coming home, a truck kicked up another rock and put a nice sized daisy style emblem on the windshield of the van. That happened only a few miles from the Colorado/Utah border. I was pretty happy to be getting out of Colorado.

The van is now here in Jackson Hole, awaiting its turn at the body shop. The insurance paid the wrecker fee, 80% of the drop off fee for the rental vehicle, 80% of the rental fee, and will pay for most of the repairs (minus the deductable). We are out the deductable, a few extra motel rooms, gas on 1000 miles, and an extra few days away from work. We replaced the tires out our pocket, of course.

But, it could have been a lot worse!

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
David Harding

Post by David Harding »

Mike,

Send Chip back down here. We didn't have nearly as many problems while he was staying with me. Of course, ever since he left...
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

David,
Chip caught a plane from Grand Junction, CO to Lafayette, LA where he planned on purchasing a car from a distant relative. I think he was planning on heading back up here to pick up some of his packs and traveling "stuff". He liked Jackson Hole (mainly the cooler air) and wants to spend some more time here. He mentioned working more on his book, sitting beside a mountain stream with his laptop.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
David Harding

Post by David Harding »

Mike,

He left a few things here, too. I told him when he was visiting us that my shop will inspire him to write a sequel to his book titled something like: This is NOT How It's Done!

I'll probably see him in a few days as he heads back your way. I'm glad everyone has survived the summer so far. Drive carefully and carry lots of Fix-a-Flat.
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com
Bob Kaschak

Post by Bob Kaschak »

Hang in there Mike, it can only get better!

Peace out,
Bob
Life is good.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Bob, and the rest,
We are safe and sound at home this weekend. Corey's last all-star baseball tournament is here in Jackson Hole this weekend, so we won't be on the road (except for a quick fishing trip Sunday). The van goes in next week for repairs. It will be nice to get the AC back up and running now that it's getting hot.

Thanks to everyone concerned for us!

Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
David Harding

Post by David Harding »

Mike,

Chip's headed back your way now. I hope things go smoothly for both of you and may you have a dull, boring summer from here on.

By the way... a word of advice:

Don't leave bear spray on the dash when trout fishing.
David M. Harding
A Sign of Excellence
Carrollton, TX
www.asignx.com