Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

While browsing the Feature Articles....

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Fielder

While browsing the Feature Articles....

Post by Doug Fielder »

I have seen a common element used in Rawson & Evans as well as in the Atkinson book of torches and smudge pots, does anyone know what these represent? It seems to be a really popular design element in lots of Art Nouveau stuff as well.
I am asking because it is a cool element that I would like to use, but I don't want to use it without knowing what it represents.

Thanks in advance.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

An example of what you mean specifically would help hugely here. I have the Atkinson plates as well a smany other reference books but am not sure what plates or details you are speaking of.
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Let's see, page 59 in Atkinson Sign Painting... there is a sample for O W HYTE, Sign and Pictorial Painters; a torch on pg 141; and I was mistaken on the Rawson and Evans reference, it was here instead http://www.theletterheads.com/lhparts/spanjerbros.html
The Spanjer Bros.
Thanks for taking the time to help me figure this out.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
You might see torches used all the way back to the Egyptians and Romans artwork, or even before. While their might be some additional mythalogical significance (guiding light to the hereafter or something similar), I suspect they were commonplace fixtures in many buildings due to the lack of electrcial lighting. As the years went by, they probably became more of a decorative element. I have lots of books on historic decoration. Many share the same basic set of "building blocks", such as the use of the acanthis leaves throughout.

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons