Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

How do you transport glass?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Russ McMullin

How do you transport glass?

Post by Russ McMullin »

I will be going to some meets where glass work will be the focus. I will be flying, so I'm worried about getting the glass home safe and sound. I have an idea for a crate to bring with me, but I'd also like to benefit from the experience of others. Any wisdom you can provide will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Russ
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

Danny Baronian left a reply earlier today, and then it was gone. I'm in a Twilight Zone episode.

Russ
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

Russ,

A while back I paid big money for some boxes that had been specifically designed for shipping glass. They were made of extra stiff cardboard and had three layers of dense soft foam rubber inside - each about 1 inch thick and exactly the size of the box. The directions that came with the box told me to cut out the middle piece of foam to exactly match the outline of the glass and sandwich it between the other two pieces. The idea was to pack the glass soft and tight.

I don't know that a wooden crate is necessary. The easier it is to handle the box, the less likely someone is to drop it on its corner - which is the best way to crack the glass.

Since my customer never called me back, I assume that the glass, which was pretty large, arrived safely.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

Sarah, how was the package shipped? UPS?
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

UPS Ground. You can find the boxes at http://www.uline.com/ProductDetail.asp?model=S-9919[url][/url]
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com
Sarah King

Post by Sarah King »

ooops. Anyway - Uline.com item numbers S-9919 and S-9920.
Sarah King
AngelGilding.com