Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Looking for Old safe reference material

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Rochon

Looking for Old safe reference material

Post by Bob Rochon »

I am looking for pictures or photographs, maybe in a website or even if books are still available for reference.

I Have painted my paint cabinet already and installed a dummy dial, now I'd love to see different variations of old safe designs.

thanks for any help in advance.
"Some People's Kids"
William Holohan

Post by William Holohan »

Bob,
Call or stop in to Purinton Locksmiths in Worcester....Oldest continuously operating locksmith co. in the USA. (1858) They are big time safe experts. They had a fantastic collection of old safe books, catalogs, etc. Explain to them what you are doing and I am sure they would be more than happy to help. You might even pick up some safe restoration repaints.
In case you want to call first, 508-754-2616. 203 Grove Street.
WEB: www.purinton.com
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

:D Bob,

If you succeed in obtaining some book titles it would sure be nice if you would post a few of them here.

TNX

Ron
Ron Berlier
Wherever I go, there I am.
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

I'd try Palms ornaments....Rick Glawson gave me a photocopied-copy quite a few years ago and it has been very, very useful ever since. Not only for the actual ornaments but more largely for the inspiration.
Bob Rochon

Post by Bob Rochon »

I was all set to purchase Don 's CD but vehicle repairs put that on the back burner for now. I'm looking to get the Palms CD's soon still.
"Some People's Kids"
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Check out these pages:

http://glswrk-auction.com/mc05.htm

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~ ... osler.html

Mossler Safe made a lot of the nice old ones.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

Hi Bob,

If you go to eBay and search on Antique Safe, sometimes you can find some interesting floor safes with art work. None will be as nice as the one that Mike provided a link for, but you may be able to get some ideas for your use. Unfortunately, usually, the art work on the safes needs restoration. :(

HTH

Ron
Ron Berlier
Jeff Lang

Post by Jeff Lang »

Bob,
Google is a good source for reference photos.
When I am looking for a photo of anything, I will go to:
http://www.google.com
and use the "images" tab, between Web and Groups.
I'd type in the word I was looking for, & to be more specific, I would put two words in quotations.
"Old Safe" brought this result.

and "safe door" this one

Often the photos do not have a great amount of detail, but for color, design, & content, it can be very useful.
Jeff
Jeff Lang
Olde Lang Signs
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
412-732-9999
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Does anybody know if all that fine intricate stuff was silk screened before leafing or was it all done by hand?
Great tip Jeff, I will use that more often.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

The photo directly above is most likely a Palm Ornament decal. The corner element in the photo is the same as in the Palm's book. Rick had the Palm's Transfer Ornaments book and a number of the actual decals at Esoteric.

Don Coplan digitized a most of the Palm designs and has them for sale on CD. The decals are long gone.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com

Post by Guest »

Yes, that is definitely a Palm's decal. It's included on the CDs. That one was a bear to digitize, but is a cool one.
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

A lot of the old safes that I have seen and worked on, especially ones from Hall's and Diebold appear to be entirely hand painted, possibly using patterns, but the designs are not perfectly symetrical. I think that one artist may have done work for both companies as they are located in Cincinnati.

I have some pictures in my collection that I could post if that would be helpful. Jim Ingram did some restoration on safes in the California State Capital bldg. and also a lot of work at the Railroad Museum in Sacramento. He probably has some pretty good reference.

I am always looking for reference on this kind of artwork so anything someone is willing to post will be greatly apprediated.

I am working on a fake vault door right now, so will post some pics when it is finished........

Jim
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Ron Berlier

Post by Ron Berlier »

:D

Greetings Jim!

I would also be interested in seeing anything you have the time and inclination to post.

You're post makes me think of the Pole Vault Safe Co. locker that you and others worked on in Mendocino. Perhaps Riax will also post a photo or two.

Ron
Ron Berlier
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

I wonder if Rick ever finished that cabinet, he was going to paint a cow pole vaulting over the moon on it somewhere......Bob Iverson helped with that too.
Life is much too important to be taken seriously