Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Who would Use Sign Paint? Who Would Use Acrylic Latex?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dave Draper

Who would Use Sign Paint? Who Would Use Acrylic Latex?

Post by Dave Draper »

Subject: Hand Painted School Mascot on new elementary school gym wall.
Size: Mural is 8 foot high by 13 foot wide, 7 feet off the floor on up the wall
Background paint is acrylic latex sprayed on concrete block wall.

Just for fun, who would use traditional sign paint and the reasoning why you feel it would be best. And those of you that would rather use acrylic latex and the reasonings you feel it would be good.

We have such a project to do this coming week. Actually this is the first handpainting job to come into our shop this year, other than painting demensional letters for monument signs. It feels like old times!

I feel comfortable working with both mediums, oil and latex, and have mastered the learning curves of each.

On this job, we will use latex. The first reason is we have to match the colors already used by union painters at the sight. Another reason is the double coating issues, latex dries faster and the second coats can go on sooner. Some areas of color can be rolled on with small rollers.
Clean ups, splatters and drips can be addressed with a spray bottle of water and rag that wont burn our butts like a rag of mineral spirits in the back pocket. Ouch! :roll:

Fading isn't an issue obviously this job is indoors, either paint is going to last for years.

So, for fun, how would you approach this work and your thoughts.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Back at the 1997 Belvidere Wall Dog Meet, Darla and I helped on Gary Anderson's Candy Store wall. He supplied latex for that job. Worked fine. I wouldn't hesitate using either one. As a general rule, I'd probably use the one that had the desired "sheen": Oils for glossy and latex for a flat finish.

The image above is at Shortreed's Letterville Site.
Click below to see more Belvidere walls:
http://www.letterhead.com/meets/walldog ... idere.html

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Brian the Brush UK

Post by Brian the Brush UK »

Hi,
I would use layex every time, signwriters paint dries slower and is more likely to gather in the uneven wall and then run, the latex will dry quicker and is less likely to run, latex can also be second coated quicker and is available in more vibrant colours. There is a gable end that I signwrote in latex paint over 15 years ago and it still looks fresh today.
Brian.

www.brian-the-brush.com
With a stroke more imagination.
Sarah Schwartz

Post by Sarah Schwartz »

I believe it would be illegal to use any paint containing lead in an area frequented by children.