Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Getting the phone to ring?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Jon Harl

Getting the phone to ring?

Post by Jon Harl »

I feel like I can paint with the best of them. And I think getting the "good" jobs is just a matter of numbers. The more people who call the better chance to sell an upscale sign. Especially if your look, samples and all reflect an upscale image. The big thing I've always been stumped about is getting the phone to ring. I've tried postcards, the chamber, selling custom work to a "key" client for less. Nothing seems to work. What do you guys do to get the phone to ring. How does Gary Anderson get all that primo work?
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

Maybe it's time to "hit the streets" and canvass for new customers. Intrroduce yourself and hand out cards and brochures (if you have one). Target businesses that need some "nice" work, or even any that need repaints.

I go around the older nice neighborhoods and stuff mailboxes with one of my post cards that feature my gold on glass service. Alot of the houses have glass door transoms, and while some have nothing on them(yet), many have old gold numbers that need restoration. I've met quite a few home owners that say they'd been looking for someone who could (still) do the G on G work. Good Luck!
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Jon - Why not call Gary Anderson and ask him? You might be surprised at his answer....and you will surely have an enjoyable visit.

Right now, I think he is in Greece, so you may have to wait a week or so.

Gary's Phone Number - 812-332-2033
Jon Harl

Post by Jon Harl »

Raymond: I'm sure I'd be surprised at Gary's answer. Thanks for the phone number. Now I just have to get over the embrassment and call him. Sometimes you think your idols are untouchable. Like, I'd sure hate to bother him. But that's just me. If I never try I'll never know.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Jon - You'll not find a more humble and helpful person than Gary. Yes, he will be busy, but he will take the time to answer any serious questions you have. That is just his nature. Just don't mention anything about the architect Frank Lloyd Wright or you will never get off the phone.

Tell him that I said to call you. It won't get you anything extra but it will probably be good for a laugh when he says "Raymond who?".

I'm not sure when he will be returning from Greece but you might try to call in about a week.

More than likely you will find that he doesn't do anything differently than you are doing right now. He has simply built a reputation for doing first class work over a long career.

After you talk to him and find out the answer, post what you have learned here so that the rest of us can learn too.