Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Need help with Atkinson book

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

William Holohan

Need help with Atkinson book

Post by William Holohan »

I have had the good fortune to purchase a 1915 copy of Atkinson's "Sign Painting". The book is in great condition after 90 years. It has one loose page and is missing 6 pages.
The missing pages are 167-168, 189-190, and 207-208.
I would be more than happy to pay any one of you that could scan those pages 1 to 1 at at least 400 dpi, burn them on a cd and mail them to me.
The book restorer here says he has paper to closely match the original and I can have them printed in town.
My intent is to hopefully scan the entire book and save it as a pdf file. I have to find out if the copyright is still owned by Frederick J. Drake & Company or someone else first.
If anyone can help with the missing page copies, please post a reply here.

It is the 9 1/2 in by 12 in edition by the way.

Thanks,
Bill "Irish" Holohan
William Holohan

Thank You SI Allen

Thanks to Si Allen, I can now have this great book restored to almost original condition.
Thanks Si for the time and effort.
Bill "Irish" Holohan :D
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

Bill, what did you do to get it restored?
William Holohan

Russ,
Gent here in town works in the restoration dept. (bindery?) of an antique book seller in Boston.
He is going to dis-assemble the book, insert the replacement pages, and re-sew the the pages. I guess back then books had the pages sewn together in small bunches, then they were somehow sewn again into book form, and the cover was bound on last. Guess thats where "Binding" comes from. Bound with stout thread. He has period paper which is almost an exact match. Has almost the same yellowing/darkening as in the book.Comes in very large sheet. One sheet will do the job. $20 a sheet for the old paper. Even has that old paper smell.
He is going to reinforce the spine of the book also while he has it apart. Cost? Just under $100. Well worth it from my perspective.
Printer saw the book and said he would make paper plates and print the pages rather than use the laser printer. Going to do it gratis because I send him a fair amount of work.