Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Brush Differences.

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Hedley

Brush Differences.

Post by Hedley »

I know this is going to sound amateurish to some - but I don't mind that. I am genuinely seeking advice on buying a signwriting brush set. What brushes would yous recommend and in layman's terms what is the difference between quills and writers etc.? Thanx in advance for the help and advice.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hedleysflutebandart
www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Look the Part - Marching Band Art
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Lets see....
I will tell you all I know about brushes, but I am pretty new to the whole thing too.
Browns are softer that grays, grays are better for learning with. Browns are best for gold on glass work (won't scratch the gold)
Quills are more flexible than say flats or rounds, and quills are affixed in plastic ferrules with wire, whereas brushes with metal ferrules (flats and rounds) are glued? Flats and rounds are usually made from different hair than quills, Sable and Ox and other types.
There is a company called Quill Hair & Ferrule here in the USA that has a catalog that describes all the differences and has a good selection of brushes too. I also buy from the Mack Brush Company, they have nice brushes and are friendly as well.
Other "Vets" on here should be able to help you out even more.

I personally have more brown quills than gray quills and a couple of Sables (which I like a lot but lots of $$$) I have a bunch GraySpeed Flats and a few outliners, fitches and scroll brushes. I also have a bunch of striping brushes, because that is where I started... I have enough brushes to fill my 2 sign kits plus a big bag of new quills and a box with a few more flats and rounds all new. I am set for a few years...
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Doug Fielder wrote: Flats and rounds are usually made from different hair than quills, Sable and Ox and other types.

I personally have more brown quills than gray quills and a couple of Sables (which I like a lot but lots of $$$)
Thanx Doug for your time and the reply.

So basically is the difference between sables and quills the actual hair? Is there also a difference in length between these 2 types of brush.

And are the sables more expensive than quills and why?
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hey Hedley,

As far as I know, sables only have the metal seemless ferrule. They have a chisel edge and have much more snap to them. Perfect for the letterstyles you do, by the way, NICE stuff!
Sables are more money, my favorites are the LUCO 6999 They are more durable too. They come from a different animal as well.
Quills are cheaper, have plastic ferrules, made from squirrel hair and are much more flexible... great for flowing brush strokes, script and when palleted as a chisel, general use too. Much more versitile.
Both brushes come in different lengths, longer is more $$ of course. I know MACK will custom make your brushes the length you want, they just charge you for the next size up brush. Say you want a 1" long #2, they charge you the #3 brushes price. Never took them up on it, I just use what I got and like it.
Any other questions, let me know.
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Try reading this info at Mack Brush:
http://www.mackbrush.com/brushinfo2.htm

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Hedley

Post by Hedley »

Thanx Mike.
HEDLEY

www.freewebs.com/hmba2

Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

Ron at Letterhead Sign Supply has been great to answer my questions. You may consider giving him a call: 800-531-3539.
timiNC

Post by timiNC »

To add to Doug's and Russ's response,...Ron carries a langnickel sable quill that has a ferulle like a quill,..not sure of the series but it by far is the best of both worlds...given the difference between quills and showcard writers. Give Ron or Kristie a call,...like Russ said he is a great help,..and it assures me that another sign man is picking out my brushes when I order from them.
timiNC is,....
Tim Barrow
Barrow Art Signs
Winston-Salem,NC
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Hedley, another source, in Canada, www.canadiansigncraftersupply.com

Pete and Marj Payne. They are signmakers, plus a supply house , (as is Ron and Kristies outfit.)
They can get anything across the line, and save border/duty hassles for us up here..

For a real treat, go to their shop(only been to Rons, take $$$ and be happy! )

John :lol:
"You spelled it wrong!"