Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Purchasing Academic/Student software

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Purchasing Academic/Student software

Post by Mike Jackson »

I received a brochure from our local "college" the other day. The main campus is in Riverton, WY, but the local arts and humanities center offers classes through them. I signed up for a basic web page design class for $78 and purchased the Adobe CS2 Premium package (Illustrator, Photoshop, GoLive, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro) for $389 through a site on the Internet. The normal price for that package is around $1200. The upgrade from my current versions of Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and GoLive was going to be around $550, with Acrobat Pro not useable without prior ownership.

When I made the call to the place the order, I asked quite a few quesitons. The academic package is intended for private use while in school, with the possibility of paying an additional fee anytime to bring it up to a full no-strings package. Otherwise, the package is fully functioning and complete. The lady thought I would be able to upgrade it to CS3 when it comes out someday, bypassing the academic level upgrade.

I was just curious if other people have used the academic versions and if the found any lingering "strings" going that route. I am anxious to take the class, mainly to hear web page "theory" and maybe learn some additional code.

Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Fielder

Post by Doug Fielder »

Hi Mike,

I have bought many a student software, most times about 70% off retail!
Anyway, no lesser version than the full retail stuff besides it says Academic Edition. Why would they short change the people learning those programs to live by?
There was a place in Ocean NJ, I forget the name, but they were the best with their product offerings and prices.
Good luck in your classes, you can probably teach them some things or two!
Doug F.
FALLOUT Grafix
Port St Lucie, FL

Formerly from NJ, Formerly from VT,
Formerly from SF, CA, Formerly from NC,
Formerly from CO, FINALLY settled in FL!
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

I can answer your question with yes and I don't know...

I purchased my Adobe Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10,
GoLive6 and Acrobat as an student package about two years ago....

but, since I don't use the puter that often and haven't takin the time to learn to draw in Illustrator, I'm not much good as far as knowing what its got and what its missing.....

just about have the watercolor rendering completed for the
"Head West WallDogs" flyer, though....will be finished as soon as I pen in the copy...

when you finsh the class (or before?) will you create my web page?
and I'm not askin' for a freebie either....just quality

"the eagle never lost so much time
as when he subnitted to learn from the crow"

Tony Segale ... "sally jenko"
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
alf toy

Post by alf toy »

I've purchased student versions as well. My understanding is that there are no upgrade options to a newer version.