Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Gold Leaf on Glass Workshop

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

noelbweber

Gold Leaf on Glass Workshop

Post by noelbweber »

Don't miss this opportunity to learn from Noel B. Weber, one of the original letterheads and master guilder John Studden!

3 Days of intense and creative fun! This class will cover gold leaf, glue chipping, marbling, glazes, pearl and much more. You will walk away with three dazzling projects.

October 21, 22, 23, 2005
Valencia, CA

Contact valenciasigns@johnstudden.com for more information [/b]
Noel B. Weber
John Lennig

Gold Workshop

Post by John Lennig »

What is the cost?

Thanks, John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Noel C and Studdley....you guys are gonna have a blast. I remember just what an eye opener it was for me when I took your workshop....10 or so years ago?...it can't be!
Dennis Davis

Post by Dennis Davis »

Will the classes be repeated in Boise? What will the cost be for the three days? I live in Boise and have visited Mr. Weber's shop on 6th Street. Alas, he was busy and I was unable to meet him in person, but browsing all the beautiful eye candy made up for the missed connection. I fear that what will be taught is beyond my capabilities, but I'm still interested in obtaining information about the classes.
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

We are finalising the details right now on prices etc. I will also try to get a good rate at a nearby hotel that serves a good breakfast. It is 3 days of hard work, but there is a lot to learn in a short time, you should walk away with enough knowledge to tackle just about any Gold Leaf job you may encounter....The workshops will alternate between Los Angeles & Boise. We are keeping a list of interested people & will be sending you E-mails shortly..............................John
John Studden
Valencia Signs, California
Jim Moser

Post by Jim Moser »

I'm interested !
Life is much too important to be taken seriously
Larry White

perhaps I could interest you in some gold one-shot...

Post by Larry White »

John-
Might you have an overview of the different techniques that will be addressed in your workshop.

Put me on your list too... I want to come down and grind some sushi.

-Mr. Black
Last edited by Larry White on Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

Put me on the list.

I'm old and short...is there a discount for the vertically challenged? Senior citizen reduced price? I've been married (to a woman) for 42 years - that puts me in the minority. California is known for standing up for the rights of the minority. Does that mean that I get an additional discount? What if you just paid me to come?
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

OK Larry, The 3 day Workshop will cover,

Preparation of artwork, Making Silk Screens & setting up for Screening, in house & vertically on site, correct inks & procedures.
Water Gilding, Surface Gilding, Burnishing Techniques, Blended Shades & Backgrounds, Marbling, Mica Powders, Pearl Centers, Damar Centers plus other treatments. We will also be talking on other subjects, such as Angel Gilding, Silvering, Pressed Brass Letters, Jewels, Glue Chipping, Acid Etching, & whatever else comes to mind................We are looking forward to sharing the knowledge. Thanks, John & Noel

Workshop size will be limited to 10 students..............
John Studden
Rob Collard

Post by Rob Collard »

I want in too!!

Been waitin a while for a class like this. The cost?, hotel, closest airport would also help me prepare.thanks--Robert Collard
John Studden

Post by John Studden »

The workshop cost will be $495.00, the hotel is around $85 a night with breakfast, some of the rooms can take 4 or more, good value. The hotel is aoun 3 miles from the shop. Nearest airports are Burbank, around 20 miles & LAX around 30 miles. There are dozens of reataurants nearby, & plenty of night life...............
Thanks John
John Studden
Chris Welker

Post by Chris Welker »

With travel, it'd be 5 days which I just can't get away for right now. Please let us know when the next one is, I am very interested.

I've gone through a lot of gold, glass & glue trying to teach myself. This covers everything I've been experimenting with or wanting to. Wish it as on the right coast though. Seems California hogs all the gold & glass stuff.
Chris Welker
Indiana, PA
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Hi everyone. First of all, John, thanks for the call. I'm definately not going to be able to go next month... Please let me know when the next one is, I should have no problem going to the next!

Thanks, Felix
Work hard, party like a tourist!
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

I would enjoy hearing peoples account/results of this Glass Gold workshop.

thanks. John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

I had a great time. Tonia liked it too. I really enjoy small meets. You learn so much more. I'd like do it again in Boise & learn the stuff we didn't have time for.

AND if anyone is going to the meet in Valencia take an extra day (& a big memory card) to take photos at Main Street Disneyland.

& go to the sushi place...
Rob Collard

Post by Rob Collard »

For me it was definately enlightening. I got insight to the unlimited possibilities of using gold in my sign work. Now the tough part is getten out there and finding the right customers to support my Gold Habit.

Both John and Noel just gave and gave, knowledge, insight, some don't do thats. Like Felix said it was small so I felt more connected to everyone and got a chance to kinda check in here and there see who's doing what and really learn from each other.
Haven't talked to anybody since the class, how's it going?

Felix has been a post-a-holic I feel like I'm being lazy.

My head is still swimming in Gold, I wish I was still in Valencia smelling the orangey smell of that screeners ink.
Robert Collard
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

You know, that's a great way to put it: "My head is swimming in gold". So's mine. I agree!

Post by Guest »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to John and Noel for sharing so much. We really learned a lot.
I have to say, (and I think I can speak for Katie also on this) we were
on total sensory overload the whole time...we had never been to any kind
of workshop/meet at all...we arrived on wed. night to hopefully be well
rested for fri. We drove out to find the shop, and found John there. He graciously showed us around, and we were really, really just blown away with
his work, so much, so beautiful, so inspiring. Maybe even a little intimidating.....at the workshop itself I had so much going on in my head
about all the new possibilities I saw for glass work, that I had a little bit
of a hard time keeping up(but...in a good way, if that makes any sense).
Pat was fascinating with his stories of chemistry, and history, and the
technical aspects of just about anything...I'd like to chat more with him
in the future. And Dean w/all that ink and a common bond of a jewelrymaking
background...and Rob always entertaining and funny. Rod, with the massive
lettering quill kit, very informative and helpful, hey Rod, did you find
those sixties-girl stickers.......speaking of stickers, the Star*u^&0 Beef
Co. sticker is now on the wall in our shop w/the rest of the mayhem.
Felix I know it's not funny....but....that had to be the record for the
slowest, most expressive bit of glass breaking ever, I can still hear
"Oh S%#^!....Oh S&*%!....Oh S&*@!"....SMASH........It was fun to watch
Noel and John's interactions too, as they watched and taught. It was
funny to watch John get ever so slightly nervous about screen printing
(I know the feeling all too well). My only regret was not going for sushi!
Dean gave me the out, and I took it, but I wish I didn't...in retrospect
I think it might have been disrespectful to Katie considering her heritage,
and just rude to the others, seems like the sushi is a tradition at John's...
couldn't have hurt that bad.....oh, well, nothing's ever perfect, next time.
Again though, Thank You John for opening your shop to us and teaching us so much, and thank you Noel for teaching us so much (and also the really cool panel artwork). My pieces have not progressed much since getting back, but Katie is moving right along, she finished her small Letterheads piece, and is almost done with the big Workshop piece. The mere suggestion that she *might* be a Letterhead now just gets a big proud grin. When Katie makes something, and she is happy with it,she is the proudest, happiest person alive....I cant even describe it, really. That is uplifting and inspiring also, Thank You Katie too. On our off day thur. and the two days following the workshop we hunted for rocks and gold in the Mojave Desert and Angeles National Forest, it was a blast, and very beautiful...and also exhausting, by the time we got to DFW on wed. we were really tired..and also wondering where the hurricane had sent Felix and Tonia!
I hope I force myself to take time and do this again, it was wonderful and
educational and inspiring. We did take a lot of pictures, unfortunately not many came out good, especially not the pics of John's fabulous glass work(need
a polarizing filter)...I'll try to find a bit of free web space and upload
the good ones, then link it back to this thread.....
Thanks to everyone that was there, it was a great time.......
Peace,
Steve
P.S. John, the old hippie music was great that night, you really should check
them out some time......:-)
P.P.S. Felix, beware that boat graphics do not become all-consuming......
it can make your shop one dimensional, non-creative, and boring among
other problems that are inherent to the marine industry.....
Rob Collard

Post by Rob Collard »

Steve, thats why you where so Quiet...You were starting to write your post. Just kidding.
I enjoyed watching you and Katie go. Thought I was the one listening and taking mental notes.
This was my first meet also and haven't taken time off since my honeymoon 9 years ago. I need more meets, more opportunities with all of you on the forum, to share my experiences and knowledge as well as getting some of yours.

WHEN'S THE NEXT GET TOGETHER OR JAM ?

Rob
Larry White

Letterhead Meets

Post by Larry White »

I believe most open meets get listed here. The private ones...I guess it's who you know.
http://www.letterhead.com/events.html

-LW