Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Sign Kits

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Terry Colley

Sign Kits

Post by Terry Colley »

ImageFirst time posting a photo hope it worked

Following on from the thread on Steven Parish trimming tools got me onto the subject of sign kits, I have had three in my 26 years of signwriting this picure is the current one. however over the winter I plan to build a better version.Want it to be the mother of all sign kits as good as the one seen in the Toy Story 2 film , you will know if you have seen it. I have the toobox book by Tolpin showing lots of great cabinet makers and machinists boxes. If all goes to plan and I make the new kit I will donate this kit as door prize at the Dixie Letterheads meet next year
So I would like to see any relevant pictures of signkits or thoughts on what works for you?
Cheers Terry
Last edited by Terry Colley on Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

It will be interesting to see your new kit. The toolbox book has some good ideas, post pictures of the finished kit.

This is my newest -

and one from the Dead Man meet -

The challenge is to get everything in one kit without weighing 90 pounds. The trick is two kits.

Here Steven Parrish's:

viewtopic.php?t=733&highlight=steven+parrish

read the last post by Mike for a simple kit on the link above.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Terry....good hearing from you here again and loved a look at your kit. I might have to bribe someone to win that one for me!! As an old sho-card writer I never had a cool kit, although now that I have a few of the necessary woodworking skills (although not as good as Danny here) I might have to make one fer the sign-painter that could now use it!!
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

This one shows the drawers, I made these on the router out of 3/4 birch ply , in fact I made the entire kit on the router.
Danny I like that kit. Is that logo on the front screened on?
Last edited by Terry Colley on Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Thanks Terry. The logo is screened printed.

I was able to see your picture by typing the url into the browser bar, but couldn't get it to work on the forum. Looks like Mike corrected the first photo, he'll have to do it on the second one too.

I'd like to see a larger picture of the drawer, are there two in the photo, or one? What are the dimensions of the kit? The one I posted is 12 1/2" H x 18 L x 9" D.

To keep the weight down, it was made from 3/8" fin ply. It's amazing how heavy it is with just the basics.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

ImageThanks Danny with help on the pictures,
The box is 19 w x 14 h x 71/2 d
each of the dawers was routed from a single piece of ply this shows two drawers
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

Ok I can now do the posting pics bit, this was the second kit I made , again all bich ply hand made ( before the router). the drawer on the top right held a rollei b35 camera, This kit ended up on the small side so I built the one at the top of this post. Mike Meyer was the lucky recipient at the Folk and Ale Letterheads meet
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

Just a bump on this , I will be taking the kit to the Dixie letterheads meet next week ,It is having a repaint ,l will post a couple of pics at the weekend, Sonny will be putting it up as a prize, So if your going you will be in with a chance of taking it home
Cheers Terry
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Beauties, Terry!! I love the routed out compartments for the brushes... are those dual stroke striping brushes???

Sure hope i win the Kit you're bringing...i'm sure it will clear Customs back to ...BRITISH Columbia!! :lol:

John Lennig
"You spelled it wrong!"
Terry Colley

Post by Terry Colley »

John
yes they are dual stripers, I commissioned 10 from Andrew Mack as door prizes at the Bull and brush meet in 2000, I have only one left, They appeared in one of the old catalogues from about 100 years ago, The kit might be yours ,who knows?
Cheers Terry
Terry Colley
Stockport, England
Signwriter/maker
Ian Stewart-Koster

double stripers

Post by Ian Stewart-Koster »

HI Terry,
do you by any chance still have more than one of those double stripers left?
I've seen them in old catalogues, too, and often thought about making one, but I was never prepared to chop up a pair of daggers to make one! I also couldn't figure that they'd be too successful, unless you were tremendously careful, but I'd really like to have a try someday.
Were they expensive, from Mack?
I'm hosting next year's Letterheads Downunder, and the idea of them as prizes sounds worth pursuing, too.
(I've striped about 300 carriages over the past 25 years, so I do appreciate a good lining brush!)
Best wishes, Ian