Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

sign blanks

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Blumberg, Bill

sign blanks

Post by Blumberg, Bill »

I know we've discussed this a few times before on this forum, but here it is again...wooden sign blanks. I'm in the pacific northwest (oregon) I've been getting my blanks from northern calif. but I'm sick of the looks of stacked, laminated cedar 2x's, the glue line always shows and the finger joints are obnoxious. My customers are also tired of the look of grain frame blasted hdu! You'd think here in the timber capital of the united states I could find someone who could furnish suitable lumber for sandblasted signs, I'm fully capable of and have the clamps etc. to laminate 2x12"s or anythting else, plus I have been in the trade almost as long as Mike Jackson is old, so I have some experience..all my local lumber yards just scratch their heads when I tell them what I need. I need help from someone who knows ,AND thats all the able craftsmen on this forum.
thanks, Bill Blumberg
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Bill...........wish I could help but arround here the quality of lumber is questionable and tend to search High and Low for the cuts I want/like. If it is any help a lumber yard will call "vertical grain" Quarter sawn although with the number of per annums under your belt am willing to bet you have all that worked out. The only time (once or twice) I've purchased pre-made blanks was from a company called "all-wood" in western canada 5 or 6 years ago. They were a good blank but it's just too easy for me to do it all and have never used them since.