Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

New guy in town...Calligraphy

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Pierre Tardif

New guy in town...Calligraphy

Post by Pierre Tardif »

New guy in town...

One thing I've started a sure interest lately is Calligraphy. After watching Russ Mowry at work at French Kiss A Brush 2 years ago it got me thinking...hey I want to give it a try.

I have practiced almost every night while watching TV, with only fountain pens and paper pad. I have scripted hundred and hundreds of pages.

The fun thing is that it's like practicing hand lettering in your living room but without the cleaning up after. The curves and the moves are pretty similar to what we do with a lettering brush.

If somebody is interested in sharing this passion let me know your postal adress so we can correspond.

Mine is:

P. Tardif Inc.
1006, boul. PIE-XI sud
Val-Bélair, QC. G3K 1L2
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Pierre.... would you happen to be left handed? John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Pierre Tardif

Post by Pierre Tardif »

"Hopefully" NO, John!

I'm just kidding, I am not a lefty but one of my employee is and when he tried his hand at calligraphy that was a problem. His hand always going over that ink that's not dry yet.

I know it could be the beginning of World War 3 for the signpainters, but I am still looking for a lefthanded signpainter that has a "natural" script! I knew a few lefthanded signpainters around here mostly good, even perfect on block and casual but having a hard time with script.

But I can change my mind on this, I only have'nt seen one yet!

Life is so good!
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Pierre, not to be tootin' my own horn, but i LOVE script, i call it Personality Script, that is, not a "font", as no two letters are the same, EVER! It's all about the overall look,how the letters fit and flow, ya ya ya!

Being left handed, it IS harder, at first because you have to connect the letter to the next one, whereas the righty is naturally pulling to the right.HEY HEY HEY, let's not get Political here, eh!

So, i will try and get out of my Luddite stance, and email you some pics of my work.

btw, surgery is an option, to remove the pesky fingers that drag thru the paint, but......what next??? :roll:

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

I've been working on Spencerian script for a while- would one of the offset pens or pen holders for that style be of use to a leftie? John Neal Booksellers has a great supply of pens, ink & information, as well-
:o
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY