Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Saskatchewan Piece

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Kelly Thorson

Saskatchewan Piece

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Well I finally finished the Saskatchewan Centennial Pieces that I have been wanting to do for over a year. I did one in copper and one in gold.
I apologize for the pictures, I must have shot 40 of them but none of them come close to capturing the glass. I'm just going to have to look into a new camera.
The wheat sheaves on the top panel show up fine in real life and are done in three different shades of mica powders. The glue chipped areas and the maple leaf and lilies are also done in mica powders.There are a few things I will change next go round, but overall I am really happy with the results. There are a whole lot of firsts for me here and it has been a great learning experience. I enjoyed working with the Angel Gilding kits, and found them clear and easy to follow. The hardest part was getting the courage to start.

A huge thank you to Danny and to Sarah for all your technical help and to Larry for opening the door to this world by inviting me to your meet. You folks have given me a great start.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Those look awesome, Kelly- great job! How big are they? Where do they go from here?
:D
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Thanks Cat,
The glass is 32" x 16". Where they go from here is a good question. Ideally, I would have loved to have these done at the beginning of the year. Life and a very busy spring got in the way of that and in all honesty I probably couldn't have handled it before going to Larry's meet. My original plan was to do a limited edition run of 50. There has been some local interest which surprises me, because it is a high end product and I don't live in a very prosperous area. I'm going to do some marketing to some of the hotels, agencies and businesses in the surrounding cities, if it pays off I'll be bringing in some sign friends to do runs of 10 at a time. It should be a fun way to share and pass on what I've learned and get them done up fairly quickly. If the marketing doesn't work, then I have still learned a whole lot and opened some new venues, so it is all good. :D
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.
Tony Segale

Post by Tony Segale »

" we liked you better when you was......."

Kelly,

very nice work. I see you have an addiction.
I like the color choices, though I'm sure a view
in person is like night and day.
keep it up

Sally
and he took that golden hair and made a sweater for baby bear.
http://www.tonysegale.com
http://www.tonysegale.wordpress.com
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

You're hooked....

-WB
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Well, Tony and Larry, I suspect you may have a point there. You wouldn't believe what my mind is spinning now. I've been spending lots of time here perusing old posts and trying to absorb all the information. I'm on overload for sure. It is very amazing how the internet has opened up a whole world of communication and learning. It isn't hard for an interest to get blown into a full scale passion, when answers are so easily found. Thanks to all who so willingly share with us greenhorns.
Laura Butler

Post by Laura Butler »

Absolutely gorgeous, Kelly.
Laura Butler
560 Oak St.
Lapeer, MI 48446
810-664-3812