Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Avg. price for HF?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Felix Marcano

Avg. price for HF?

Post by Felix Marcano »

Hi eveyone. I called the guy Larry wrote about & he says that he can get me a 30-40% gallon of HF for about 65 bucks each, 4 gal min. (+ shipping). I just called a local chemical dealer & they said they sell a 32-34%, 5 gal bucket for $45.00. Could there be a mistake or is the first guy really expensive?

Thanks!
Work hard, party like a tourist!
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

I pay right around $70 for a gallon of 48-52% lab grade HF. I would prefer to buy it by the quart, but it's around $36 a quart. My advice would be to buy only the volume that you will be using, price should be a secondary concern. I would also buy it from a reputable source. I wouldn't even buy a 5 gallon bucket... it ain't water. If you can buy it over the counter, you'll save a bunch on hazardous materials shipping. Also, with some suppliers, purchases over a certian amount, or of a certian type, can be recorded and reported to various agencies.

Always store any potentally hazardous products in an appropriate storage cabinet. Don't leave them out for potential accidents or handling by untrained or unknowledgable people. Always work in a contained, well ventilated area.

Thoroughly know what you're dealing with, how to use it, and how to deal with spills or personal contact. A search of this site will direct you to an MSDS for HF.

-LW
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Thanks Larry. Got the MSDS & read it last night. So, I suppose I should ask if its lab grade? BTW, I got the numbers to the HF distributors from a client that works at the EPA.

Thanks!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Felix,
I want to echo the safety concerns Larry pointed out. The stuff is very dangerous. Depending on whether you are zoned properly, having the material might be illegal or be restricted by your insurance policies. Even in a factory approved container, HF can frost glass in the area without ever having contact, and it will rust cans of paint near it. A quart will last you a long time, depending on how us use it, but the thought of having 5 gallons in my work area would scare the heck out of me, and even more so with kids anywhere around.

A quart or liter costs me around $120 once I pay for hazardous packaging and shippng costs. Buy it locally and save that.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Aye, Mike. Yes, I'm afraid of the stuff too. I'll be as careful as I can be. Believe me. As a matter of fact, my best client sells safety clothing, masks & all the works. I plan to suit up before working with the stuff. Pat really scared the . outta me with his HF stories.

See youse,
Felix.
Patrick Mackle

Post by Patrick Mackle »

Hi Felix,
I didn't intend to scare you, I was just repeating accounts passed on to me by some of the "old timers". However, their accounts of mishaps encouraged me to learn all I could, not only about techniques but also about precautions. May you do the same.
Pat
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Absolutely! Pat, I appreciate everyone telling me everything that could happen! I think its the best way to prevent them from happening!

Thanks always, Felix
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Hey Felix,
I finally managed to track some down in Manitoba. They sell it by the pound here ($45-$70 depending on where you get it, I'm paying the higher price, but the shipping is way less. They are also sending the antidote gel, which costs more than the actual acid. Make sure you get it as well. Hopefully you'll never need it, but I think it is money well spent. I was rather horrified to hear that the courier they work with doesn't charge hazardous materials charges - I sure hope the carriers are made aware of what they are carrying. The good thing is the delivery is $15 rather than the $225 that I was quoted to get it shipped from the US. I'd shop around a little and see if you can get it in smaller quantities. It is used in the oil exploration field, there must be some labs close to you. I'd hate to see you get a 5 gallon bucket too, sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Let me know how the workshop and your juant into Canada went, hope you take lots of pics because I'm hoping to see some.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.