Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

first glass / gold design

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Felix Marcano

first glass / gold design

Post by Felix Marcano »

Hi everyone. I think what you're about to see is a bit busy, but I wanted to show you what I had accomplished. There's nothing behind this, I just thought it'd be kinda cool to do a "lure" panel.

Ok the outter border will be a very dark blue.

The gold trim would be 23k mirror gold with matte centers.

The 4 squares in each corner will be MOP with bronze mica

The fish silouhettes in the background would be acid etched. *Maybe use smalt behind it? Or mirror it?

I'd like to make the head of the lure look rounded. I thought of a watch crystal. Will this work?

I'm not sure about the light blue inside the gold trim.

On the tail of the lure I'd apply a little flitter & then paint.

On the hooks I'd use palladium leaf.

Any opinions?

Thanks, Felix

Work hard, party like a tourist!
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

By the way, I'd redraw the lure. I just stuck this one there to see if it'd work!

:)
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

Execute the vision... sounds alright to me. Becareful of how you finish the background in that it doesn't overwhelm the subject. Mirroring it might be a bit much. I like to start with a line drawing. As I make the drawing I start to decide what techniques I am going to apply, along with considering the whole color palette. The defined techniques will dictate the order of the process. There are some threads on this forum that talk about order of process. In the early days, I would create a written outline of all the steps. This helped in doing things in the right order, and not skipping a step. I have found "erasing" in reverse glass work is near impossible. I also have found that the backgrounds can make or break the piece. A tip from Mr. Dickinson was to use clear static cling over areas that you want to test various colors. I've adopted that, and it works quite well.

Welcome to the facinating art of reverse glass work! Unfortunately I need to report that the learning curve is almost endless, but the best way to learn is by doing, so jump right in!

-LW
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Thanks a bunch, Larry. I think I've finally found what I want to do for a living! But I know it'll be a while!
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Go Felix!!!
"You spelled it wrong!"
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Felix, for that BLUE border (between the gold lines) try mixing some PRUSSION BLUE artist oils (in tube) with quick size and airbrush it in there. (You cant hand brush it or there will be marks and streaks.) Then gild it with 12k "white gold". Do some experiments first to get the shade right.
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Thanks BB