Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Thank You to Danny Baronian and a question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Dennis Davis

Thank You to Danny Baronian and a question

Post by Dennis Davis »

Although I'll be talking to Danny in the next day or two, I wanted to publicly thank him for being patient with me while I awaited the delivery of my glass chipper. He's a first class guy.

Now, a question for those of you that use glass chippers. When creating those scalloped edges, are there any hints that you care to share in the use of the glass chipper. Spacing secrets, techniques, depth of blade or screw settings. Any suggestions or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

I almost got a test piece done when, with three chips left to do on the end, I let too much of the glass hang over the workbench and it broke in half while I was doing a chip. Darn, it was looking pretty nice for a first piece. Lesson learned, don't let any more glass hang over the edge than is necessary to create the chip.
Dennis Davis
Boise, Idaho
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Dennis....I asume Danny has you straigntened out on the use of the "nipper" I use one often and the reply to your post will be tricky to write...if not post your progress here and will try and help out.
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

Well, not to hijack this post, but i'll take the opportunity to Thank Danny for the Glass Stand he makes!

It's such a pleasure to use, compared to what I was using!

Glass Chipper...now wasn't that Cinderella??

:lol: John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

I've noticed that the angle of the cut makes a big difference when using a nipper. For best results the surface of the edge should be perpendicular to the surface of the glass, and that 90 degree angle should be consistant along the entire edge. If this angle changes, the nipper won't be biting the same amount of glass each time, and the size of the chip changes. I've heard that using an oiled cutter makes a more accurate perpendicular cut, but I'm not sure if this is true.