Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

OT>>>>Staying Healthy

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Mike Jackson
Site Admin

OT>>>>Staying Healthy

Post by Mike Jackson »

Quite a few of us "Old Timers" on this board are probably hovering somewhere above the 50 year mark. Darla and I usually have our blood work done in the spring at the hospital "Health Fair". This year, both of our cholesterol levels were up a bit, so we made an effort to cut back on cholesterol and fatty foods, plus exercise. For my part, I have been walking somewhere close to 4 miles daily, or roughly an hour. Between the better diet and exercise, I dropped my cholesterol level by 75 points and lost some weight.

I tried jogging a few times once I got my walking legs in shape, but it seems to be harder on my ankles and knees, so I am back to walking. Through the long days of summer, I could easily find time to walk either early in the morning or after "work" in the afternoon. Now, however, the days are shorter and much colder in the mornings, leaving on a few hours in the middle of the daytime "work" hours. This morning, the teperature was around 35 degrees and the wind was blowing pretty hard, so I could see and feel the upcoming issue.

So, now my question to this venerable group....I looked over some treadmills at our local Sears store today. Does anyone have one? I was curious if I should spend a little more money to get some of the electronic features, or just the bare bones version. Stepping out the front door in my walking shoes is about as low tech as it gets, so I really lean to the concept of keeping a treadmill as low tech as possible, too. Then again, I hate to buy one and wish I had spent more to get some of the better features such as auto incline, fans, heart rate read outs, and so forth.

I know this is way off topic, and basically useless info for most of the young whipper snappers, but I trust the advice of the people here. Once the snow falls, the streets get icy, and winter really sets in, I can't see how I can maintain my four mile walks. I believe I have a space located in my office area where I can watch Lynda.com tutorial video clips or other videos on my computer screen, along with catch up with the CNN news and other shows on a TV.

Hopefully, whatever information is given here will help all of us in some form or another. I'll go ahead and delete the post in a week or two.

Thanks in advance,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

I've got a question. How do you know this is going to make you live longer? When are you supposed to die? If all the diet and exercise is designed to make you live longer, how do we know it works?

For instance, the doctors (and other "theys") say that you can add several years to your life by following all the rules. Let's say that I do all that and leave this place at 65...does that mean that I was really supposed to die at 62? And how can I prove that it really worked? Maybe I was supposed to die at 65 and all the diet and exercise stuff was just a waste of time.

Maybe it just feels like you are living longer because of all the pain and denial that you are going through.

Just thoughts that make you go...hmmmmmm.

Yea, go ahead and get a treadmill. It will be something you can get rid of next spring when you have the garage sale. You could probably pick up a good unused used one from all those people that had the same idea as you last year.

Bah, humbug.
Jay Allen

Post by Jay Allen »

Hey Mike,

We looked at Treadmills last year (for months - did the Consumer Reports research, etc.) - but my brother (57 and in Olympic-type condition) suggested to us to look away from the treadmills and instead try an elliptical trainer. Easier on the joints since there is no impact. You just rotate with almost the same motion as walking or running - just not as long of a stride. That was suggested to him by his trainer and by most physical trainers when considering an age like his - upper 50's.

We decided on buying one when we realized that he and the trainer were right - a treadmill still forces your joints to abosrb the shock - and we weren't getting any younger. (I'm 46 - Jody is 44) The trick is buying the RIGHT elliptical trainer. Since an ellipse is a "mathematical equation" the only company who can build a TRUE elliptical trainer is Precor since they patented the process using the 'math' of an ellipse. Everybody else builds machines that are CLOSE to an ellipse - but not exactly. There have been many lawsuits that have kept Precor as the leader in that machine.

That ellipse motion makes a big difference since your heels will rise up off the platform and somewhat negate the effect of the exercise if you buy anything other than Precor. The rub? Precor machines are EXPENSIVE. We paid around $2,000.00 for ours - has the programmable ramp that rises with varied programs built in to system. You can plug in your weight and it does the calculations for you - depending on which program you choose. Much more fun when the machine changes the program and resistance for you. Precor is 'gym-quality' so the price is justified. After trying out over 50 different ellipticals, we know we made the right choice.

So if you buy anything, take a hard look at ellipticals. Treadmills are OK (my brother thinks they're far more boring - but you're still 'standing' in one place on either if you ask me!!) - but with age and the chance of joint failure creeping up on all of us, the ellipse is the choice of trainers who are asked about which machines for what age group. Just turn on the TV and get busy!!

And if you never use it again, they make great places to hang your clothes!! Or so I've heard. :)

Jay
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Ha...good one Scrooge.

Darla talked to a friend who has one sitting in their garage. I think they are going to loan it to me for a while (they are in the process of selling their house and don't need it in the way anyway). I suspect there are hundreds of them in garages collecting dust around the valley, so maybe I can pick up a used one.

Hey, who were those two skinny guys at the Oklahoma Bash in 1982?

Back to your comments; I don't huff and puff when walking up a small hill after six months of regular walking. There is less of me hanging over my belt now, so whether I live another year or two past an arbitrary day isn't as much of an issue as how I feel between now and then. :)

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Just to throw this into the equation, you can go to about any large mall during the winter months and see some of the senior citizens dutifully walking 'round and 'round the mall. I'd consider that as an option, but the closest mall is about 100 miles away.

Personally, I am not 100% convinced I can stand "walking" or elipsing in one place for an hour at a time. My one hour walks are normally quite tolerable here since I get to watch the clouds change, geese and other migratory birds fly over, and watch the light change on the mountains, along with breathing the fresh, crisp mountain air. From the other perspective, being "slightly" obsessive/compulsive, tolerating something like this isn't much of an issue when I can see end goals and stay dedicated to reaching them. The one hour walks certainly took its toll on my fishing time this year and some of that time was also replaced with going out with the cameras. All in all, I don't have any regrets on any of those decisions.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Raymond,
Your question made me think of Forrest Gump wondering if we are living our lives with a predertimed fate or whether we can float along and adjust fate by making some decisions and actions along the way. Right? I'd prefer to at least think the latter is more accurate, and if so, I am making a relatively informed decision. :)

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Hey Jackson, I think you are on the right track....or treadmill. Whatever else diet and exercise may do, it does make you feel better and better about yourself. Like the commercial says....that's priceless. Actually, exercise does release a chemical into your bloodstream that aids in healing and prevention of symptoms of aging. Laughing releases the same chemical. Interesting, huh?

Nice photo. How come you look so much older now and I still look the same? These new eyeglasses are great!

Nice memories.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

By the way...one of the examples of irony is having an accident in your car while trying to put on your seatbelt. Today, I literally had to jump over the front corner of a car while doing my "healthy" walking. Luckily, I was paying attention, because the driver wasn't. I planted my left hand on the front of the hood, then pushed up to jump over the hood. I felt the front bumper against my leg as I jumped over. She looked terrified as she realized what had just happened. I looked over my shoulder and just shook my head, then kept walking.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Raymond Chapman

Sounds like you still pretty agile...for an old guy. Glad to hear that the story had a happy ending. I don't want to be attending any more funerals for awhile.
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...Mike, I've heard that cross country skiing is one of the best workouts possible. You could do just one half our a day and improve your fitness greatly. ..Another option is trudging your local frozen tundra in SNOW SHOES. Another great way to burn huge ammounts of calories.

...If you didn't live in "snow country" I'd recommend bicycle riding. Even casual cruising can be very much healthful and fun. (Not to mention saving gas.) And as opposed to running, with low impact on the joints.

...If high blood pressure or cholestrol are a concern, consider eliminating meat from your diet. You would be surprised how much your health will improve by simply avoiding the fat and toxins (and diseases like bird flu) that by eating animals you introduce to your system.

...The reason to be as healthy as possible is not to add years to your life (although that is great), but to avoid being a (helpless basket case or) heart attack or stroke victim. Especially if you have family members who have had these problems.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Billy,
Sounds like you might have had some friends or relatives who have had a stroke or heart attack. No details needed, but I think we understand that concern. I know this is an Off Topic post, so I don't want to get too bogged down with details or drag people down.

As this group gets older, I think we realize our bodies aren't quite as invincible as they once were. Part of that comes with the fact we are sitting in front of a computer more and not lifting bags of sandblast sand and hauling big signs around. Muscles ache more, eyes strain to read labels, and we have a tendency to sit on the sideline while others play touch football. Throw in a few supersized value meals of deep fried products, and we gain weight and store cholesterol along with other residues that shouldn't be there.

The doctor told us to try to walk one hour a day and adjust the diet to eliminate any external cholosterol intake, cut back on the fatty foods, switch to olive oil instead of vegetable oil when possible, and eat just a bit less at a time. My blood pressure is low, so salt wasn't the issue. Making the exercise change and diet change hasn't been too much of a problem, but now it is getting harder to get that one hour of walking in. It is cold and snowing out there right now, in fact. I can still walk today since the snow hasn't built up too badly yet, but that is just a matter of time now.

With a few of my friends having strokes and/or some sort of heart attacks, I certainly took the doctor's words of advice as necessary adjustments. The Department of Health is recommending 1.5 hours of light exercise daily. I suspect that is a little high, but maybe intended to at least some people to get an hour. Another show I watched suggested 10,000 steps per day. That's bacisally 2 miles of walking, not necessarily on a dedicated walk, but during the day accumulative—whether at work or at play.

Going back to my original question, I was trying to find out if I needed anything more on a treadmill than just the basic treadmill. There are a lot of bells, whistles, speakers, and connections on the higher end machines, but I am wondering if most of that isn't just to entice people to thinking walking on them would be more fun with all the goodies (buying their way to fitness). I might look into an eliptical, but right now, I think I will just put feelers out to try to buy one of the many used treadmills stored in a garage around town.

Thanks for the note,
Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Regarding the original question, I'd keep away from the bells and whistles on exercise equipment unless you get a good used one with extras included. If you really want to check your heart rate or blood pressure, there are wrist cuffs that are inexpensive and more accurate. My daughter bought a gazelle, no impact and not too bad using even though you never go anywhere.

I'd like to see how you watch lynda.com videos since you need to select and go on to the next lessons while on your new machine. Maybe even a how to for those of us on them already. Computer remote?

Well said Billy - "the reason to be as healthy as possible is not to add years to your life (although that is great), but to avoid being a (helpless basket case or) heart attack or stroke victim. Especially if you have family members who have had these problems." Extend that further. What if you have to care for someone. Are you up to it?

As some know, my wife had a stoke three years ago. It's something you never plan on. Taking care of yourself is something I am more aware of than before, since she requires care 24 hours a day.Taking care of myself is no longer a matter of just me, but a need for the well being of both of us.

Personally this is a pertinent question at the right time and place. I'd rather see the post remain rather than deleted. Hopefully others will add to this, and personally think how your family would be affected by a disability or health problem. A pro active approach regarding health will beat a bah humbug attitude any day.

Hopefully this isn't too much detail and bog anyone down. Though my wife doesn't get around on her own yet, her mind, wit, memory and speech are unaffected. We continue to enjoy life and each other more than before.

Is there a YMCA nearby? If so, check them out, they have all the latest equipment. Sign up for a month just to try out the equiptment.

So Mike, figure out what fits your particular need and go for it.

Danny
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Russ McMullin

Post by Russ McMullin »

I have had a difficult time keeping up exercise as weather changes. Walking in the cold doesn't appeal to me at all. For this reason I bought a treadmill several years ago, fully intending to use it. It wasn't a bottom of the barrel machine, and it probably would have been just fine, BUT...I hated the noise it made. I also didn't like how I had to constantly pay attention to what I was doing in order to keep from falling off the back of it. No reading books. I decided that treadmills are not my kind of exercise, and I ended up selling it.

I recently checked my weight and I was shocked at how heavy I've become. I was 20 pounds heavier than my estimate. It's no wonder I've been feeling tired and bogged down. My blood pressue is on the high side of normal, and my blood sugar is normal so I'm not taking any medication yet. However, I feel that the days of ignoring my health are over. I'm guaranteed to be 300 lbs in the next few years if I don't start doing something about it - quickly.

I wanted to buy something that would allow me to exercise in the winter, but I was afraid to buy another treadmill. I just knew I wouldn't use it. I have liked recumbant exercise bikes so I started looking around. Treadmills give a better workout, but only if you use them. I settled on an exercise bike that was much more than I had hoped to pay, but I like how it feels and it is virtually silent. I feel much more certain that it will get used.

I think the quality of the actual mechanism is more important than the bells and whistles.
Carol

Post by Carol »

Hey Mike, could you join a gym and let them own and do the maintenance on the equipment? That's what I've been doing for a few years now. That way you have access to not only some arobic device like a treadmill but weights or machines to help the upper body too. BTW the thing I do to pass the time on a treadmill is read. If I'm into a good book the time passes faster. What ever you decide to do, I think it's a good idea.
C.
Art is a technique of communication. The image is the most complete technique of all communication.
Claus Oldenburg
You are invited to visit www.carolchapel.com
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi C:
Thanks for the note. If you ever see that Quaker Oats commercial where they show an outdoor winter scene with the wind howling and snow flying across the landscape sideways, you have an idea what it's looked like for the past few days. It cleared for about an hour today and I managed to get in four miles, but it was in crusty snow with puddles and crud the whole way. On the way back, I stopped at our local mini-Sears store just to check out the machines again. They were running a one day sale on them, including a one time a year 10% additional discount. I walked the rest of the way home and talked to Darla about them and she told me to go get one.

I went back and paid for a reasonably nice machine that folds up to a size I think I can handle up here in my office. I looked into the eliptical machines, but they were more than I wanted to spend right now. I have never been one to go to the health spas. I did that once a long time ago. I'm looking forward to being able to get the exercise in early in the morning and get to work without leaving home. I still like the idea of walking outside, but that may be a thing of the past until about March or later. Sears didn't have the exact machine in a box, so I will have to wait a week for it to arrive. The one I tried out had a 1" wider belt and a bit more horsepower in the motor than the ones they had in stock (for the same price).

Some of our friends offered to loan me one of their older models, but it wouldn't go through the stairway to my office area. I would have ended up in the living room or somewhere else in the way, so I didn't go that way. I checked with the one local rental center and they didn't have one.
I am sure I could have waited for one to show up on the morning "trash and treasures" swap show on the radio. In the end, I was swayed by the discounted price tonight and I will at least know it will be fully functioning.

Back to the grind!
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

I have to laugh a little. Last night, Corey (7th grade) had to write a one page paper on a book he read a while back. I guess at that age, writing a paper is a painful ordeal and they tend to fill each paragraph with as many "really"s as they can to fill the space. He had three in one paragraph. The teacher has a list of outlawed words such as "awsome", knowing they tend to pad their writing with them. Then, I look back at my last post and realize how easy it is for me to ramble on and on with little effort.

I could write more, but I think I will be good! :)

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Si Allen

Post by Si Allen »

Cholesterol! You don't have to eliminate meat and become a'veggie'! My Doc put me on Zetia to lower my Cholesterol and went from 300+ to 260, I then eliminated butter ansd such; instead I use pure olive oil for cooking and Extra Virgin on salads and veggies. Even tho i have bacon and eggs for breakfast, my cholesterol is now 205 and the doc is delighted because the LDL?HDL ratio is very good.

At 71 I wiil be happy with what time I have left...and adding another 3 to 5 years is kinda spooky...who wants to wind up eating baby food and wearing Depends in a rest home, Not Me!