Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Cool Book

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

John Lennig

Cool Book

Post by John Lennig »

I picked this up at Lee Valley yesterday.

The International Cyclopedia of Monograms

Alphabets, Initials, Cyphers, types, Crests, Coats-of-Arms, Emblems, Badges, Shields & Decorations. Whew!

Orginally Published in 1910
Algrove Publishing - Classic Reprint Series

ISBN 0-921335-86-5

It's 15.95 cdn

I found the vast array of monograms, from very simple/plain to very complexeautiful, to be the big draw. Many could be to use in glass work, for sample pieces.

btw, a finish carpenter on the show i'm on made me my sample case for 8"x8" glass pieces, and a scenic artist is woodgraining it for me in trade for some lettering lessons. SWEET!!

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
Kelly Thorson

Post by Kelly Thorson »

Good choice John,
That's been a favourite on my bookshelf for a few years now....as a matter of fact it is rarely put away - I visit it often. There are a number of really great books in that Algrove Classical Reprint series. Some of the architectural ones are worth a look for the images as well as the carving ones. I was looking at my catalog the other day and thought of Felix and his "marine" glass quest. There are a couple of books that would be quite helpful in terms of images.

You are actually quite lucky to get the book as it has been listed as no longer available for about a year now on the web site. I noticed that a couple of the others relating to historical alphabets and design are no longer available as well.

As a matter of interest, I love the "Quickwood epoxy" they have. Seems to be a great product when working with HDU or wood, for fix ups.
Best thing is Lee Valley just opened in Saskatoon on October 3rd. :D

http://www.leevalley.com - for those who might be interested.
The phone # for Algrove Publishing is 1-800-871-8158.
I believe there is no shame in failure. Rather, the shame lies in the loss of all the things that might have been, but for the fear of failure.