Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Glass Scalloping?

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Bob Ficucell

Glass Scalloping?

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Hi,
Can anyone please give me a quick overview of how to use a glass scalloping tool?
Iv'e become an expert at making big "Chips" in the glass, but no scallops. Thanks, Bob
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi .. The use of the "nipper" is hard to describe although the secret is in how far in or out the "movable pointer/wedge" is relative to the glass. This is the time to experiment. If you get small crumbles on the edge move the pointer further out. You are likely to need to adjust the screw/fulcrum up or down depending on thickness of glass.
Bob Ficucell

Post by Bob Ficucell »

Thanks Doug,
I'll give that a try. Bob
Joe Goodson

scalloping

Post by Joe Goodson »

I had a friend of mine make a scalloping tool for me from a picture in the C.R. Lawrence catalogue a few years ago. He owns the Bobby tool company. It works fine, but I also learned how to do the technique with a pipe wrench. Yes, a pipe wrench. I also learned how to do the same trick with a hammer. You have to have the glass supported by a piece of steel (on concrete) for it to work. You can also scallop the edge of a mirror (with the scalloping tool) if you are patient enough and have a good supply of bandaids.

I have found that the hammered edge is the cleanest. Email me if you want a picture of a piece I did recently.
Joe
Actions speak louder than words.
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Hey, Joe! How about just posting your work HERE so we can all see it?!
Cat :lol:
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Joe Goodson

?

Post by Joe Goodson »

I am not sure how to post images on the board yet. Care to help me out?
Joe
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

check in the FAQ section at the top of the page for starters-
Cat
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Danny Baronian makes nice nippers. He's been buying new tripods, ball heads, and lenses, so maybe some step by step photos of him chipping glass would be a good subject for trying his equipment...plus he has a web page to display them.

Hint, hint, hint!

Mike
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Joe Goodson

Here they are

Post by Joe Goodson »

Ok, a friend of mine was kind enough to post the images for me. Here are two terrible, blurry pics of two pieces that I have done in the past. Bad pics, but they are good enough for you to see what the edge work looks like.

:-)
Joe