Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

flash gilding

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Catharine C. Kennedy

flash gilding

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

flash gilding was mentioned inone of the threads- what's that and how is it done?
Thanks-
Catharine
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

Flash gilding usually refers to the process of applying mica powders over size in both reverse glass and surface gilding. The powder can be mixed with size or varnish, but it's effect and look is not as pronounced as applying directly over size.

To flash gild, size your piece with 1 shot quick size applying a thin, even coat. After 10 - 15 minutes using a small fitch dip into the powder to transfer to the size. Tap the brush handle to release the powder rather than brush on. It's best to use too much than too little, as excess will be returned to the container.

Gently tap the work piece to spread the powder around, then finally using a japan brush, dust off, putting any excess back into the container.

Back up with a color similar to the color of the powder for reverse work, or varnish for surface work.

In addition to approximately 30 - 60 available colors, the powders can be mixed to achieve a desired tone. Blends can also be employed.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
Catharine C. Kennedy

Post by Catharine C. Kennedy »

Thanks for you speedy reply!
Catharine C. Kennedy
Chatham Center, NY
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

I was playing around with the mica powder, in reverse, on quick size, then backing up with diffrent oshot colours. Sometimes, i'd get a "colour-shifting" effect, looking at the work from different angles. need to do more testing.

John-posting from Santa Rosa, in the Rainy Season!!!
"You spelled it wrong!"
Larry White

Post by Larry White »

John-
Do you have any more results from any tests you have done with the various back ups over mica powder?

-Larry
Danny Baronian
Site Admin

Post by Danny Baronian »

John,

your getting the color shift because the mica powder is semi-opaque. Put a color behind it and it will darken or tint the mica.

Either work with the mica last so your working through a window area, or mask off the section your adding the mica to. Size with 1 shot, add mica, tamp lightly, and brush off unused mica with a japan brush. Lightly spray with shellac to lock the mica in. When dry clean, then mix in some of the same mica used into window spar, or any varnish you choose, paint over the area with the mixture, and you should see no difference from beginning to end other than the fact the mica is now opaque.

While I haven't tried painting over this combination, I would imagine you could back up with anything you choose without the shift.
Danny Baronian
Baronian Mfg.
CNC Routing & Fabrication
http://www.baronian.com
John Lennig

Post by John Lennig »

hmmmm, just getting back to this...

I actually liked the colour shifting effect.... but subsequent tests didn't give the same pronounced effect. I had used blue green backing up a light bronze powder. More testing needed, i was thinking of using it for window lettering, not with gold leaf,...

John
"You spelled it wrong!"
vance galliher

speaking of flash.......

Post by vance galliher »

I was just looking through the sepp leaf book...making a list , and on that list was mica powders ....I love mica powders ! I can do anything I want to with them.... if I can think it, I can test it !!.....like Mike and Larry say.."Do lots of tests" ..that's the learning time !..............it seems I do more test pieces than work.hahahaaaa..they're all over my studio,......... but that's how I choose to do my work..by experiencing where I've not been before...and then do something I've not done before......that's why I do what I do !........all this great information here helps sooooooooo much.Thank you all for sharing
vance galliher

flash

Post by vance galliher »

...just a footnote. Every scew-up is a great learning time for me ........I always try to be with the ....."what if"....Granted, there are "right ways" to do certain steps to acheive certain results......and then there are times when you invent......... "glue chipping".............test, test, test ...the joy is alway in the result.....
Darryl Gomes

Post by Darryl Gomes »

Try applying the Mica to a painted surface that is almost dry(still tacky). I painted some ball post finials dark green and dusted with mica and got the most beautiful gold sparkle on the green spheres, with that gold/green colourshifting effect you are talking about.

Darryl
Darryl Gomes
Underwood Ontario