Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

Removing gold from unwanted areas

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Felix Marcano

Removing gold from unwanted areas

Post by Felix Marcano »

Hi everyone. Could someone tell me what's the best way to remove the gold that sticks to unwanted areas on HDU? We're using a toothbrush but I'm sure there's a better way. (I hope!)

Thanks, Felix
Work hard, party like a tourist!
Billy Pickett

Post by Billy Pickett »

...What bits I can't remove with a piece of masking tape, I usually "touch up" w. some of the background color.
Felix Marcano

Post by Felix Marcano »

Thanks Bill.
Work hard, party like a tourist!
Raymond Chapman

Post by Raymond Chapman »

If it is just a few small areas I just spit on a cloth and rub the gold off. Most of the time I just paint over it when I do the other touch up work.
Ron Percell
Site Admin

Post by Ron Percell »

I use air pressure on surface jobs, my air nozzle has a rubber tip that helps.
curt stenz

Post by curt stenz »

When I letter truck doors with gold, I remove small bits of errant gold with a soft pink pencil eraser. Never harms the surface.
Curt Stenz
Bill Riedel

Removing unwanted gold from background

Post by Bill Riedel »

I have found success in using a little lemon oil (Old English furniture polish) on cotton. If it doesn't come off right away, leave it overnight and wipe it off with a dry cotton. The safest way is to cover the letter with either paper or card so you do not rub on the letter. This way you can clean the unwanted gold right up to the letter. If any oil gets on the letter, it will look stained, but it will evaporate.
Bill Riedel
tom rose

Excess gold...

Post by tom rose »

Hi Felix

I found that for me WD40 on a soft tissue takes it off pretty well.
Try it on a spot that won't matter first to make sure it does not screw up your paint!