Welcome to The Hand Lettering Forum!
This is an interactive Bulletin Board on the topics of Sign making, design, fabrication, History, old Books and of coarse Letterheads, Keepers of the craft. The Hand Lettering Forum features links to resources, sign art history, techniques, and artists profiles. Learn more about Letterheads at https://theletterheads.com. Below you'll see Mchat has been added as a live communication portal for trial, and the Main forum Links are listed below.

D70s question

Hand Lettering topics: Sign Making, Design, Fabrication, Letterheads, Sign Books.

Moderators: Ron Percell, Mike Jackson, Danny Baronian

Doug Bernhardt

D70s question

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

One of the things I haven't yet worked out is the file numbering. When I switch from one card to next all the numbers start at the beginning again and almost lost a ton of stuff when I tried to place them all in the same folder. Where is or is there a way to change this! You guys have been a pile of help with this.
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
Look in the menu and check to see if you have auto sequencing turned on. I am pretty sure that is the one. My camera is in the truck as I write this or I would double check. When it is set correctly, it will start at 0001 and go to 9999 before it starts over again at 0001. Also, your capture software probably has a switch that lets you auto rename each file as it gets copied to your hard drive. I swithed over from the default to using todays date followed by a sequenced number. I've "rolled" my camera twice now and have several thousand past that....something in the range of 23,000 shots since the end of January. I'd be in trouble if some files started writing over others.

I was on the Nikonians web site the other day and several people mentioned 50,000+ and even a couple of 90,000+ D70 cameras.

Best regards,
Mike Jackson
Mike Jackson / co-administrator
Golden Era Studios
Vintage Ornamental Clip art
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Jackson Hole photography blog:
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Hi Mike and thanx. It will be a while before I get off to one of those extended photo shoots and will let ya know whatz what then. Okay now...rolled the camera over 2wice.....holy Mac...what on earth are you up to? I can't imagine how much time you're spending with photoshop!!
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug, I shoot a lot and pick the best ones. Even on a tripod, some photos are more blurry than others. When photographing animals, there are always one or two that jump out of a group—usually the one with a little glimmer of light in their eyes.

I have been busy trying to get the new CD ready lately, so I haven't been out as much. There is still a lot to photograph right here in the yard if I just want to get out for a minute or two. We had two moose in the yard last week and had three mule deer here yesterday. I put out a few bird feeders this year and have had a lot of small birds daily.

Take care,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Doug,
I just looked on my camera. Go to the little wrench tool sections, then turn ON File No. Sequence. That will number your images from 0001 to 9999. Even though the numbers start over after 10,000, the camera does remember how many you have taken with it and you can see that number with some of the high end capture/view programs.

Mike
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Will do....and sorry has taken me a while to back to things in here. Have been installing a DVD burner and even though it's an HP there has been problems..... with video home movies etc etc to DVD. I'm sure you can imagine. All to say I haven't had the time to get out arround here either. The pup and I love hiking in winter and fall and with a busy shop and travel we're missing the same great outdoors...although I can't imagine much thats as spectacular as the landscapes you see! Thanx again!
Doug Bernhardt

Post by Doug Bernhardt »

Just a recap on dealing with my camera...right now it is in for repairs...not good sign, and am trying to work-out issues around RAW files. I have to say that the software that came with the camera is the worst nonsense I ever saw. What are they thinking of? Of course one of the first things I did today was go see if there are any up-dates...there aren't...and it's a year old???
Mike Jackson
Site Admin

Post by Mike Jackson »

Hi Doug,
Sorry to hear about your camera headed back for service. My D70 has 17,000 or 18,000 photos through it now and going strong. I bought a D200 in February, and it has over 18,000 photos on it already.

In the past couple of months, I have learned a bit more about the software. I don't own Nikon Capture, but one of the main features of that software is it will read and intrepret settings you make "in your camera" when shooting, such as sharpening and hue/saturation adjustments. If you use Adobe's Camera Raw reader, it will ignore those settings and you end up with pure RAW files as shot in the camera.

I have been importing with Digital Pro 4 and I like most of it, especially the loupe feature.

Right now, I am sitting at an Internet Cafe in Lincoln City, Oregon waiting form my 4 gig card to copy to a portable USB 80 gig drive. The reader is USB, so it is taking much longer than when I am at home using my FireWire Compact Card Reader. It is taking roughly 1 hour to copy to my drive, so I will have to wait to copy the other card. Still, it is cheaper than buying another card. If I liked coffee and espresso, I'd be a happy camper, because there is a coffee shop on about every other corner up here. Lots of Internet Cafes, too!

The kids are skateboarding while I am dumping the cards. We are headed back towards Portland today.

Lastly, if you are using RAW photos, be sure to invest $25 for a month and log onto Lynda.com. There are quite a few tutorials on using Photoshop and RAW images. A new CD by Chris Orwig will certainly help understand the steps, but I also watched the clips by the rest of the instructors.

Good luck,
Mike Jackson
Golden Era Studios
Jackson Hole, WY

Photography site:
Teton Images
Best of the Tetons